After a full uninstallation of Office 2010, the computer is still "dirty"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Soulfate, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Hi MDL !
    I've noticed that after a full uninstallation of Office 2010 (any version, any way to uninstall; retail, volume or what you want), the computer (or a virtual machine) is still "dirty", even in the best case of using an utility for uninstalling Office.

What I mean by "dirty"? It's complicated and it's why I need your help for.

In the best case: a full-uninstalled Office 2010 product with a famous Toolkit on a virtual machine (yeah, I don't want my computer full of craps).
    I've deleted all of the few registry keys and files that remained after the full uninstallation.
    No service, no key or file remains on the machine: the toolkit can't detect any product installed.

If I use a CORRECTLY virtualized version of Office 2010, made before on another virtual machine, it works sometimes (no problem with license) or, sometimes, a message about a problem with license appears. It's fifty-fifty and random and that means that the "isolation" of the virtualized app is in trouble with something on the machine.
    I've also found a thread here (29936-Cannot-re-install-Microsoft-Office-2010) where someone have some troubles with the re-installation process. Me too.
    I have to repair licenses (when it works :p) if I want to install again an Office 2010 product.

Why this is a problem if it's solvable?
    I've made a virtualized Office 2010 that works like a charm on clean systems (XP to Windows 8) and I don't want to install it. I put it on my USB Key because I have to use it everywhere.
    But on some laptop or desk computer, Office 2010 was installed and then removed (you know... trials, pre-installed Office and all of these jokes :mad:). So, my virtualized Office 2010 works randomly and it's absolutely not satisfying.

To summarize, after a full uninstallation of Office 2010, my virtualized Office 2010 cannot work properly because something related to Office 2010 is still here in the computer.
    The only way to use the virtualized Office 2010 is to use it on an operating system where Office 2010 was never installed - OR - to install "Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V", backup license and manage them from the real system (and not from the virtualized Office, which is bypassed).

Do you know what is it and how to remove it? Thanks ;)

2. idsk

idsk MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    except files and registry entries, there is also stuff written in the WMI database of windows
    you can find there some info related with the registration (like the trial time, the key etc..)

u can check if there is some info left there after uninstall, to do so you can use a program nammed WMIexplorer

its just an idea

3. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Nice, I found somethings after the full uninstallation:
    OfficeSoftwareProtectionProduct
    OfficeSoftwareProtectionService
    OfficeSoftwareProtectionTokenActivationLicense

I'm looking for a tool or command to uninstall these "things".
    I'll be back.

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Try CCleaner's registry clean or reinstall office and then uninstall it via revo uninstaller.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Visio installed -> Uninstallation via REVO -> test: problem persists -> Clean by CCleaner -> test: problem persists
    REVO and CCleaner don't detect anything relevant.

I will compare the content of the virtualised app with traces left on the system after uninstallation and detect if doubloons exist... When I will have some time :)
    If there is NOT, I can't understand how the problem can exist.
    Maybe an exploit in the Matrix?

6. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I just had this same issue migrating from x64 Office to x86. In the end I re installed Windows. Not very helpful, I know, but I'm interested in solutions if you find any!

7. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I will try the 4th method when I will have time. Or somebody has already done this and can share his results?

8. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I've not found what remains after the uninstallation, but I've found a workaround to bypass the problem with a Thinapped Office !
    It's a better "patch" than the one proposed by VMWare (or on this forum) and allows the user to launch the Thinapped Office even if Office is installed.

For me, the topic is closed but the main problem is not yet identified.

Thanks all !

9. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Could you please shows us this "patch"?
    Thank you.

10. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Yeah, I've written "how to" on your topic:
    threads/28885-How-to-virtualize-Microsoft-Office-2010-with-VMWare-Thinapp