After installation Windows 8.1 not booting

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by c0ldhart, Oct 15, 2013.

1. c0ldhart

c0ldhart MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I tried to install OS from several windows 8.1 iso (after writing them into dvd) but when all unpacking & installations completes & PC restarts one final time PC directly boot from windows 7 it neither show windows 8.1 option nor it finalise installation (final step where we insert PC name after rebooting the PC). i wanted to make make dual boot Windows 7 & 8.1 but after restart setup does not continue.

Steps
    1> First i installed Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1 X64 during that installation 100 mb system partition gets created
    2> but during windows 8 installation 350 Mb partition does not get created by 8.1x64 OS setup but setup does not show any error
    3> setup went smoothly & copied file & installed features & reboot but after reboot it directly went to the windows 7 desktop not in windows 8.1 bootloader. but in vmware it went perfectly fine only with one 100mb partition. plz friend tell me how can i solve this problem?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Personally I hate Dual Boot! To many unpredictable problems!

I use to install the OS's on it's own HDD and use the BIOS Bootmanager afterwards for to select which OS I'll run. For the time of installing the OS, I disconnect all other HDD except that which should holds the OS. Reconnect all drives back after installation is done. That works without any problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    did U physically disconnect hdd or just set mode "none" in bios.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I just disconnect the power cable because Windows will "see" the HDD's are connected but set a None in BIOS! Just remove the power cable from HDD!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. eydee

eydee Guest

You can do the same thing by hiding partitions during install and using a custom bootloader in the mbr. (I recommend Boot-US.) That way you don't have to spend much on HDDs, don't have to touch cables and don't have to invoke the BIOS boot menu ever. And you still have all the advantages.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Bad for me!

Because the biggest advantage for to use the BIOS Boot Manager is: If 1 HDD goes down, I could still boot from the other one and try to repair the dead drive, whichle using an Dual boot in any merans, just means if the HDD goes down, there is no way to start normally directly from either OS! And the exact same is happen using an Bootloader. I would never use that!

Anyway it's up to the owner and user of the machine he/she would like to take the risk or go the more sure way!

7. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    thanks everyone for valuable reply, i was able to solve the problem by taking help from windows 7 without 100 MB partition topics & i reinstalled windows 7 but at the time & keyboard input screen i used diskpart from command prompt ( Shift + f10 ) & created 500 mb (100mb for 7 + 350 mb for 8.1 + some extra space) partition & made it active then everything gone smoothly.

if anyone having problem (dual boot 7 & 8.1) then following steps may find helpfull
    At the first setup screen (Language, Keyboard, etc.) press SHIFT+F10. This will open a command prompt window. Enter the following diskpart commands to create a partition.
    Diskpart
    List disk
    (this command is important. It will show you what disk drives you have. Most likely your hard drive will be will be Disk 0, but you need to check it first.)
    select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary size=500
    (this creates a partition 500MB in size. If you want to use the whole hard drive, just leave off the size=number)
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=ntfs quick
    Type Exit to leave Diskpart. Type Exit to close the command prompt. Now continue with the install.