After sfc /scannow, no access to logs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ThomasMann, Sep 30, 2021.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I ran sfc /scannow.
    I got the message that corrupt files were found, and successfully repaired. For details I was referred to: windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Both, for this address and also for going through C:\Windows and Logs and CBS, and finally CNS.log
    I keep getting only this:

Access to the file was denied
    The file at /C:/windows/Logs/CBS/CBS.log is not readable.

I ran sfc /scannow once more, got "did not find any integrity violation"... but access to logs was still denied...

What might be the problem?
    Thanks

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Windows file locking is f*ckin' weird, that could be the problem. The process may still be running (or a leftover file handler) and cling to the log file. Further, it could be in the process to archive it (happens automatically once it reaches a certain size).

Is it accessible after a reboot?

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thankas...
    No, its not... I use sfc regularly and it has always worked...

4. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Do you have Admin rights? I checked my CBS log and it is only readable with admin rights. Definitely not readable from Explorer (Explorer explicitly runs with Standard rights, always).

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes, I do...

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    The CBS logs with the datetime string appended are the archived ones. They'll be discarded, eventually.
    When I enter C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log in Explorer address bar, I get "Access denied" from Notepad. As explained, Explorer always drops elevated rights, so, won't work that way. Opening Notepad as Admin and then opening the CBS.log works for me.

Backslashes turning into slashes for the local string in the address bar means it wants to access it as a website. Something isn't right, here. Dunno the default association for the .log files, but it's not a browser for sure.

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, fo the information.
    It has always worked before, so some setting must be changed.
    Well next rainy day will be the day to re-install Win 7... Takes half an hour, and the updates will do their thing while I have lunch. Always works.... :)

8. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Or you could prepare yourself an updated media using the tools in this forum. After installation, the Windows 7 is already up-to-date.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, I know. I basically do that, but it is more important for me to also have all the software pre-installed that I use. The 18 months of Win7 updates cannot be on it of course, but that runs by itself. I use a clone that I made with Macrium and it is on a on an old, small Crucial SSD, which I then copy onto the large SSD in my desktop.
    I did learn here how to use Macrium, and find that a most convenient way to do a rather fast re-install...

And as I was already over 40 when the Mac One was built, I have a good chance of dying before Win7n runs out of updates... :):cool::rolleyes: