After the end of Win 7 Support

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tmf2, Jan 14, 2019.

1. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Thank you @Omicron16 :)

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I see those extended updates getting out on the web also so 7 will continue to live after 2020..... once M$ gives the official death nail into 7's coffin software will stop support too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    It seems software providers are quick to drop support for a Windows version once it's officially retired, in other words when MS ends mainstream support. That would be at the end of the year, unless Microsoft extends that date.

For me it's the software providers that determine when I have to drop a version of Windows. I don't care if MS supports a version or not, but I do care if the programs I use have issues with it. I'd still be using winxp if that were not the case.

For me it's the software providers that determine the OS I use. If they all decided to support Mickey Mouse 1.0 tomorrow, that's what I'd use. If there's a swing in OS support by software producers, I'd have zero qualms about getting away from Windows. There are some trend shifts going on, but more in the embedded domain for things like phones and such. Don't know if anything like that will ever happen for PC, I tend to think not.

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    It is not so much the software providers, as it is your needs. If you are simply a private person, then your problem never arises, as it has been obvious for many years, that updating software, f.e. ccleaner, is not a very wise decision. There is no need to constantly update parts of a system that works perfectly, just to receive the great "advantages" of someone's latest updates. Win 10 and Firefox are the best examples...
    Let us see what happens to simplex.

If you are the admin or webmaster, then you do indeed have a problem.
    It would be great if the Linux crowd would one day come up with an actually usable installation, that does not require a Windows on the side, as it is right now...

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Linux is making advances in software use but it still isn't ready for prime time as of yet.
    (I personally think if they stop calling the print driver "cups" and say what it is... a printer driver.... then they'll be getting close)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Common Unix Printing System

Linux community loves abbreviations.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    But it's those geeky abbreviations that hold it back from becoming the "peoples" operating system, If it was more user friendly more folks might use it

8. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #30 Krager, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    That's pretty much the trick, a system anyone can use that is not hobbled by a lack of user controls and configuration options. Seems to be a very elusive target.

At this point it seems you can't run something else without a Windows machine on the side. My feeling is if I have to use Windows for some things, I'll just use Windows for everything. Though it's getting to the point if there's something I can't run I'll just do without. Windows 10 has been my worst experience with PC yet and I expect it's going to get worse sooner that later.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    It makes those "chosen ones" on the inside feel special and superior to morons like me....
    Maybe one day there may be a "cleaned up" Win10 available and a "simplex" coming along with it.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Doesn't convince me, to be honest.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Hogwash
    Microsoft can make Windows 10 secure but not Windows 7?
    What bus did you just come off of?
    It's Microsoft's plan to kill 7. They do not want to see the back lash they had when they attempted to kill off XP and today there's many Windows 7 pc's out there than there was XP pc's. Microsoft is desperately attempting to avoid a big stink when they kill 7, so much so... They will still give you 10 for free

12. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Same drivel they spouted about going to win7 from winxp. There was a good amount of resistance toward that much like there is going to win10 from win7.

You'd think they might wonder why so many people refuse to upgrade (and I don't like using that term because upgrade implies you're getting something better, which you're not), It either doesn't cross their minds or it does and they just don't give a crap, the new paradigm of screw the customer.

Big difference in "upgrading" this time. Win7 was still a decent system, wasn't so awful we had to abandon winxp. That's not the case with win10, It's a mess, like a teenager's bedroom.

I'm using win10 now because I need the hardware support it provides. If that were not the case I'd be milking win7 for all its worth. Then maybe I would bail on Windows altogether by the end of win7.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I disagree, People did not want to upgrade from XP to Vista but I can recall that Windows 7 was a welcome relief from Vista.

Vista was not that good from the get-go. And nobody complained when they killed off Vista

14. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Yeah there were no Vista holdouts for sure. The issue was people didn't want to give up winxp and everyone knew what a dog Vista was. I never saw Vista just like I never saw win8. So the push was for the winxp holdouts to go to win7. Now win7 is the one people don't want to give up. Win8 has a bad reputation (deserved or not) so win10 is it.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #39 Joe C, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    I see a lot of peeps wanting to keep 8/8.1 because 10 is so damn buggy.
    It's like M$ has this attitude of offering more "Features" and ignoring fixing the bugs in 10...wtf ???

imho... Windows 10 does not rate that much higher that Windows ME, or Vista as far as buggy-ness is concerned. Why does M$ not fix their issues before trying to add more unwanted crap into their o.s.?
    Their heads are up their backsides not to see what people want and need

16. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Yes, lets go there. It annoys the crap out of me how MS will let major bugs sit on the table for lengthy periods while pushing out these "new features" at a breakneck pace (most of it useless crap clogging up the works). They think the key to a good product is more features regardless of actually improving the product. How about a good product because...well, it's a good product.

Win10 is such a bloated, disorganized mess. How about getting their s**t together instead of pushing out a new release very six months, boy what a novel idea.