AHCI BIOS Mod

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Azurium, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Azurium

Azurium MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    Hi,

I want to enable AHCI in my laptop because I recently bought a SSD drive. Unfortunately my BIOS has no option for turning AHCI on, so I'm stuck with IDE emulated mode. I have a 945PM chipset with 82801GBM southbridge (ICH7-M).

If someone could give me a few pointers and warn me about possible pitfalls...

Thanks.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    When I had this problem, I contacted ASRock & they simply added the option to the next BIOS release

You could always try this route

You could also at least state what laptop you are talking about...

sebus

3. Azurium

Azurium MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for your very quick reply.

My laptop is a Z96Js/S96J. I'll try to ask Asus for it but I suspect that there will not be a new BIOS for this model (last one was on January, 2008).

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That might be a problem...

sebus

5. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Any news about that?
    I own a Dell E1705 or Inspiron 9400 and I'm in the same situation.
    I build one custom pci option rom,guided from some forums,and using this I've managed to rewrite some pci registers and now ICH7-m is switched to AHCI.
    I see this booting linux from usb stick,is really working in AHCI mode.
    But problems is after bios post,bios still report my hdd as is was detected in initial stage that result in imposibillity to boot from hdd,also booting FreeDos is teling me partition error in disk,bios think and deal with hdd as in legacy ide mode but now controller is in AHCI mode.
    I need somehow to force bios to re-detect my drive or override this.
    Somebody told me bios isn't support INT13 extensions but is Int 13h extensions version 2.1 detected on my bios.