AHCI Question ....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Jun 4, 2014.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    #1 DeathStalker77, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    What about clicking on "Storage Controllers"? You also have Asmedia Controller. Is it attached to that?
    Is IRST running? Open it & look at your drives...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    No, the primary drive is not on the ASMedia controllers - I even tried switching it from the brown (6g) to the black (3g) since it's only a 3g drive, but nothing changed.

Checking the details shown in RST, it doesn't appear to indicate anything about ACHI - it just indicates that they are SATA drives and what speed (6 or 3).

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AHCI = Advanced Host Controller Interface is a hardware mechanism that allows the software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices. It offers features such as hot-plugging and native command queuing (NCQ). AHCI works 100% with any SATA HDD but IDE HDD's. On IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) HDD's the Hot-Plug and NCQ isn't working.

If AHCI is enabled in BIOS, it should work with no problems in Windows 7. It's possible that it will have problems if AHCI was enabled AFTER the installation of Windows 7.

In later case you could enable AHCI manually in the Registry of Windows 7. I'd created an tuto for to set AHCI later in Windows 7 which maybe would need to disable AHCI in BIOS first again:

Again: Use this only if you installed Windows 7 BEFORE you had set the HDD's in BIOS to AHCI!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    @pisthai - as I mentioned, the registry setting IS set to "0" already - and iaStorV is set to 3

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  7. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Very strange. I was advised, however, that my ASMedia controller appears to be in IDE mode, even if the Intel ports ARE in SATA ACHI. And apparently you CAN also use the Intel drivers (RSTe 12.4 was recommended) even for the ASMedia drivers. I'm clearing things off the primary drive, just in case I have to do ANOTHER re-install (this weekend).

I *think* part of my problem was in trying out a couple of these "driver finders" for the first time. I think I just rely on Station-Drivers and Guru3d going forward lol. Wish there was a nice RSS fee set up for different mobos, components, etc ;)

BTW, when I say SLOW, I'm talking <5mb/s transfer rate :(

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You'll NOT lose any data! Main feature of those kind of apps (DRevitalize, HDD Regenerator, HDSetinel etc.) is to NOT touch any of the existing data! Those works with any kind of existing (and even none existing) Partitioning and File systems.

We use that kind apps in my company for many years with great success and never had lose any existing data! and one of our services are Data Recovery from damaged Storage Drives and systems!

10. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok, thanks MUCH! I'll give them a shot!