Aienware M17x R2 - Installation issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LightSource, Nov 20, 2011.

1. LightSource

LightSource MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    Hiya

I am trying to reinstall windows on my Alienware M17x R2. I've a Dell Windows Professional dvd but when I install it, my windows is not activated.

Unfortunately I dont have a backup media for Alienware laptops. Anyway of activating windows on it?

Or is it possible to build my own windows alienware dvd from dell dvd?

Thanks

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    It is.. Replace all dell media with alienware media and you're done. You can use windows loader to activate windows as well.

3. akf

akf MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #3 akf, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    Yes, it is possible to build Alienware Windows DVD from Dell Windows DVD, but some modification is needed for Windows Activation.

There should be just several minor differences between Alienware Windows DVD and Dell Windows DVD:

1. [Windows DVD]\sources\$oem$\$$\setup\scripts\slp.cmd: modify the Dell key to Alienware key, but this is not necessary as the key is not brand specific.

2. [Windows DVD]\sources\$oem$\$$\system32\oem\OEM.xrm-ms: This xrm-ms must be Alienware certificate, otherwise Windows will not be activated.

3. [Windows DVD]\sources\$oem$\$$\system32\oem: All image files. Change all Dell images to Alienware ones. This is not necessary if you do not care about Dell image appearing in System properties.

4. [Windows DVD]\sources\$oem$\$$\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgrounddefault.jpg: Change all Dell login background to Alienware one. Again, this is not necessary.

If you want the easy way, go to this thread: 7 Oem Sources Folder Project. Download the Alienware $oem$ folder. Delete Dell $oem$ folder and replace it with Alienware one.

Your BIOS originally contains SLIC 2.1, so you do not need to use Windows loader. Just use the Alienware certificate, and Windows should be activated. Hope this is helpful. :D