AIO with Server 2008 R2?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lunar21, Nov 8, 2009.

1. iainstott

iainstott MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    @Wolfdale, I have already tried, mounted boot.wim and then merged the EULA's together, and the EULA's ftom the \sources\licence.
    Always goes to install, then fails on the "expanding files" part of the setup.

Am looking for a solution.

2. W0lfdale

W0lfdale MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
    That's good. It's just strange it works from inside Win7 by just merging licenses (didn't merge anything in boot.wim) but doesn't work from WinPE (DVD media).

3. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Worked for me. I put all versions on windows 7 together then all server versions, then I mounted both boot.wims and added the lic. from the server boot.wim into the windows 7 boot.wim. Then built my ISO and burnt onto a DVD and just installed onto my other computer. Everything works just fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. iainstott

iainstott MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    What did you use as the base for your DVD?? Boot and setup screens....
    And have you tried to install Server?? And is the server R2???

Sorry for all the questions....

5. W0lfdale

W0lfdale MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
    It's working here after merging the license files to boot.wim
    I added some files from Server2K8R2 source but i guess they are of no importance.

6. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    For my base DVD I used an already AIO Windows 7 DVD, I intagrated the Full install part of the servers not the Core installs. then I added all extra files that are on the Server DVD (except the boot and install.WIM of corse. Then I put the EULAs from the server boot.wim and put them in the windows 7 boot.wim. then I made the ISO and tested in vmware both server and windows 7 and both installed perfectly.

Try it and let us know if it worked or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. iainstott

iainstott MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Happy days mate......
    Have started again, using 7 x32 as my base, have merged all install.wim and EULA.

Test installed Vista and 7 x32 & x64, worked no problems.
    Test installed server 2008 failed first time around, just doing a second test, if this fails will add all the files from server 2008 and see what happens.

8. adamsmith

adamsmith MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi Lunar21,

Just a question - when you say you added all the files from the Server disc - did you just cut and paste all the folders and files? If so did you replace any files or ignored the existing files?

Could you also quickly explain how you put the EULA's from the server boot.wim into the Windows 7 boot.wim?

Sorry if these are basic questions - even if you have a site you could point me to will be enough (re the boot.wim question)

Thanks
    Adam

9. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Ok for the files, I just copies everything but the wims over and ignored the existing ones (just putting new items in there). As for the boot.wims, I used jins-jins tool to mount the boot.wims from both ISOs and just copied over the lic. files themselves to the folders. Make sure you get them all tho. Then unmount using the same tools you mounted with.

then burn and all should be good.

10. adamsmith

adamsmith MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi Lunar21,

Thanks for that. I'm working on it now.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Adam

11. adamsmith

adamsmith MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Sorry me again.

How to you know what the licence files are :confused:

:)

12. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
  13. adamsmith

adamsmith MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi Lunar21,

Thanks for that. The structure I was looking at was different hence I couldn't see the licence folder. After looking at the info for the boot.wim, I noticed it had a 2nd index. I ended up I mounting that and it contained the licence folder :)

I've test both 08 and 08 R2 and the install begins!

I'll do some full installs and report back.

Thanks again.

14. adamsmith

adamsmith MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Ok,

R2 installs :) 08 installs, but errors after the first reboot :(

Anyway, some progress, I'll keep chipping away!

Adam

15. adamsmith

adamsmith MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    #35 adamsmith, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  16. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Sorry to bump it..

But how bout vista and 7 ? Same procedure ?

17. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Crap..

I tried a guide doing pretty much or exactly the same, merging editions to same install.wim and copying the eula and that didnt work at all... fck.
    and with the guide that adamsmith posted, it seems somewhat messy and unclear to me but maybe im too stupid or something..