Alfa AWUS036H & Win7 x64 Driver Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SirSilentBob, Apr 1, 2010.

1. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    CDlinux wireless is an good distribution also ! easy friendly interface ;)

2. freemyggle

freemyggle MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2011
    #22 freemyggle, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    Apologies for resurrecting this issue. My problem with the AWUS036H is that the tool used to operate the antenna would load then dump back and forth, usually giving me no more than 1 minute of connection at best. I downloaded the link that was provided above and am hoping that this will run the antenna properly. I am running Win7 x86 with Backtrack 4 r2 as a dual boot. I've tried to use the VMware setup, but have found that to be far too prone to complications to invest my time and energy into. Linux is complicated enough for a Windows user to get into, Backtrack was meant to be an advanced Linux system which makes it just too much to also be burdened with the issues VMware has. The dual boot works great for me and am getting very comfortable with BT4. The antenna breaks WEPs easily and i have no difficulties getting handshakes. haven't yet tried to connect the Alfa via wicd yet as my integrated Intel 4965 suffices my needs.

yaluza1967, was your link for Win7 (x64)? Or should it run on x86 as well? I got a runtime error and it did not install.

3. skunkr1der

skunkr1der MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    hello everybody,

I am experiencing trouble with my AWUS036H.

It works fine under Linux (Ubuntu + Backtrack), under Windows XP and Windows 7 Ultimate 32.

However, no matter which driver I pick (generic Microsoft driver, several Realtek drivers with or without management software, several ALFA branded drivers from their website, etc, with or without gain control), when I connect to an encrypted wifi network from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, my maximum download speed is about 300-400 KB/s.

When I switch to an open connection, it jumps back to the normal 1200-1400 KB/s. The same goes for when I start up with Win 7 32.

Only when I am using either an open connection, or Windows 7 with 32 bits, can I use the speed of my connection properly.

I've been having this issue for the last year, and so far I haven't found a good driver for Win7 x64.

Maybe anyone has any ideas for me to test/try...? Thank you very much in advance... :)

skunk

4. maverick06

maverick06 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2012
    I just bought the same card and am having the same problem, it works on win 7 x64, just very very slowly.

Was there ever any resolution

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I could not find this product on the Windows 7 compatibility website. In fact, a search on the name "Alfa" turned up no results under 64 bit hardware. That doesn't mean it won't work with 7 x64 but I'd say after all this time it not being listed is a strong indicator it doesn't.

6. 2percent

2percent MDL Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Sorry , it is compatible. It is listed according to the chipset - RTL8187

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    No need to feel sorry. I was commenting on the device itself and it's not listed. RTL8187 may be compatible, but it's not doing the job according to a couple of posters here and on one x64 installation I know of in real life.

But no matter, this thread is way too old to cuss/discuss any longer.

8. akashi

akashi MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2007
    I purchased a Alfa AWUS036H last week and I am also having problems with internet speed.

I tried the drivers found on Realtek's website and they install perfectly but internet speed is slow. Connection to my router is excellent and shows the connected speed as 54mbps. My internet speed is about 18mbps but I am only getting about 1-2mbps with the AWUS036H.

I have an older Edimax USB adaptor and it connects at 54mbps and gives me a download speed of around 11-12mbps.

Can someone please help me out with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

9. vtek

vtek MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm sorry to wake a sleeping giant, but I found a solution to the problem that OP and other people in here have. I too run windows 7 64-bit and was having problem with this Alfa AWUS036H. If you go onto to ALFA website (alfadotcomdottw), there actually 6 drivers for AWU036H. The 2nd driver from top which has the hash value Win7 32/64 doesnt work under Windows 7 64-bit. The one that works is actually the 4th file from top down which has a hash value Win7 Power Control. This is the file you want. Extract the zip file and run setup.exe. This is what I found that works for me. I'm not doing any wardriving. I just want a solid wireless connection in my room which is about 40 feet away from the router in the living with two walls. I'm glad to say that I now have all 5-bars signal and solid 54gbit connection. I can see other wireless networks around me now all with 5-bar signal that I didnt see see before. I hope this information helps out other as well. We got a solid piece of hardware here, but the software was a little troublesome. It just needs the right driver.