Almost made OEM disc without asking for help, but...

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by 91011, Mar 23, 2010.

1. 91011

91011 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    My thanks to, among others, Suicide Solution, 911medic, Yen and urie. From their posts, and others, I was able to convert a Dell WinXP SP3 Pro OEM to an IBM version that auto activates without asking for additional help.

But since I'm too anal, I decided to remove the three remaining Dell .cab files in the i386 folder.
    (!DELL_XP.CAB, !DPCHFEN.CAB and !PCVENXP.CAB) They can be deleted and XP seems to install fine but setup asks for the files and has to be told to skip them. Easiest would be edit the install setup commands but I had no idea where they could be found.

So instead got an untouched MSDN VLK to convert to OEM using the known to be working: OEMBIOS info, modded winnt.sif, OEM setupp.ini. First try installed but asked for a key so I quit there. Added the PIDGEN.DLL file from the Dell/IBM version and now get a WPA error window saying "a problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x800004005". And install won't go past the login page.

Maybe it's not possible to do from a VLK? Are there other files that need replacing? Tried to find an untouched SP3 System Builder OEM to try but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Thanks again for all the help.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Your SIF file is likely wrong..DO NOT change the pidgen or dpcdll files....

You can always change from VLK to OEM..

Use the OEMBIOS installer, get your OEMBIOD files..put them both on a flash drive...boot to safe mode and run the tool..you will be fine after this..You need to use the uncompressed oembios tool. Just run it on another computer and put the whole folder ont he usb drive.. You can also do it off of an iso is you choose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 91011

91011 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    Thanks, but I finally found a System Builder SP3 OEM tonight. Dropped in the working IBM OEMBIOS info, modded winnt.sif, and OEM setupp.ini. Installed, auto activated and passed all WGA checks. Now have a totally clean IBM OEM install disc.

Thanks again.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Some help

Hello, i m having a hard time understanding this, can i make a Retail Media Center 2005 to a VL CD/DVD or OEM . (i m really novice at this things)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes you can make media center into OEM SLP exactly the same method used for xp.