Alphonso - or: how to evade privacy in another way

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by ancestor(v), Jan 3, 2018.

1. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    can you design your own network suite/gear. even a BTS (base tower station) yes it requires you to have loads of hours of sweating work and dedication and frustrated swearing when what you want is what you dont get but you are one stubborn never bending A**HOLE and you want to get what you want, then excellent privacy is possible. but its never been easy.
    if you can do it, then congratulations you are now a self made ISP, if no one understands a jack then you can pat your own back for that herculean achievement. ;-)

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Ancestor: You have the correct answer: "These are the moments when I think about throwing my smartphone out of the window and getting an old fashioned only phone and sms device."

So what is your question? Are you looking for an alternate planet?
    The structure behind what you describe is real, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

That is why for the minority that has understood this, the question of owning a "smartphone" never really came up .

A smartphone is nothing but an extension of your ego, and it is so popular, because the masses have no real life of their own and compensate this with facebook of all things! I mean... how blind can one be?
    Using a smartphone is the most powerful method to strengthen the status quo.
    Using one and then complaining about the consequences is surreal...

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I remember hearing about this when it was just a concept. There might be a way to stop it, perhaps by building a
    random noise generator and acoustically coupling it to the mic on the smartphone. And since they're probably using some form of speech recognition,
    you concentrate the frequencies into the 3khz to 5khz range. (Male / Female voice range)

That should thwart the problem. ;)

@ThomasMann: Like -every- other piece of technology before it, people become accustomed to it and ultimately become addicted to it.

Back in my day, it was scientific calculators. Every engineer I knew had some form of fancy calculator (HP,TI)
    Even I had a Casio CFX 40, which I used in Engineering meetings. Too bad it got ruined in the rain one day. :(

But make no mistakes here: I still know and remember how to do pretty much any math by hand.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :cool:

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Of course.... however, there are technical inventions that further intelligence, and then there are those that dumb down.
    Participating in letting Google or Facebook autonomously deciding which kind of news you receive, because they repeat what you read last week, has consequences which f.e. can already be seen whereever there used to be democracy.
    I am sure you have noticed?

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @ThomasMann: I have to agree with you. Many years ago, the same argument was made about slide-rules as well as scientific calculators.

They're a tremendous labor saver, but we tend to get lazy and expect them to do all of the work for us. If we're not careful, we then become a slave to this technology.

In the case of smartphones, a core of useful technology has been surrounded with layers of apps. Some of which are malicious.

The core tech is amazing and can be a life saver; the rest of it is there so that cellular carriers can make money. Either through advertising or tracking your surfing habits.
    Only under certain circumstances can you root your phone and remove the junk. And you have to be careful, because some things can't be removed.

If you do, you will brick your phone.

@ThomasMann: Sadly, I have. I have mentioned it to family and friends. Many of my friends simply do not care.

And I don't press the issue because that's their choice.

The great thing about MDL is that so many people here know how to circumvent things that would be a real problem for the novice.

Between MDL and the XDA forum, We "enlightened" folks should be in pretty good shape. :)

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I do not get any news at all on Facebook. It is a clean timeline. No news, no ads, nada. Thanks to FB Purity for that. Any other news I get I get on my own.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I would have expected nothing less from you. But the problem is not what Facebook & Co do, the problem is what people allow these corporations to do to their thinking.
    To put it less polite: The problem is the stupidity of the huge majority of people who allow these developments to run rampant.
    It is easy to understand why AI and robotics are supported by government and the military-industrial complex. The result in the not far away future will be synthetic soldiers and policeman, drones are the testing groundof that technology, whichis the partof those developments that everybody can already see.... unless he gets his news from Googe, Facebook & Co.

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes indeed, the core tech is amazing and can be incredibly useful, the problem is not the phone, but the user. I switch on, or actually even carry my phone only in situations, where I really might need it, going on a hike in the mountains, or when my old mother in law has a medical problem. In four years that I own it, I have made one call myself and received three. I found a company that charges $8 a year for the simcard, and $1 per call made. Just perfect for my purposes. I did root it and removed most crap other than the gps, which I find quite useful in huge cities.
    As I said, the problem is not the phone, it is the user.

“Sadly, I have. I have mentioned it to family and friends. Many of my friends simply do not care.”

Yes, sadly enough, societies all over the world have started regressing since 2001 and 9/11. Most people are functioning out of fear, instead of thinking for themselves and accept and use their responsibility for their own lives. So 50 years after 1968, even in the most developed democracies, we have ended up the Trumps, Hilarys, Merkels, Mays and Macons.
    But the saddest part is the power that this development has to interfere massively in families and friendships.
    One wonders what people one once considered to be friends….

Aaaah, wtf, lets enjoy the beautiful Sunday morning sunshine.

11. fabre gastro

May 29, 2018
    1st and foremost question -> What is a smart phone?
    its because i am too dumb to even understand the definition of smart phone.
    does it mean i can be dumb and go dumber and end up dumbest and the phone will help (not help) me from going dumbest?
    does the phone have an SQ (smart quotient) to verify and validate the authenticity of the claimed smartness and who verified and validated that and how do we validate and verify the validators and verifiers smartness? errm...... lost.

Is it your political agenda? then you got my vote. no one understands a word of nerd i speak. meh... i cant blame you either.

back in 80's german police used to send silent sms to detect if a cellular device is online (switched on) mostly monitoring and surveillance and its still used today nothing has changed. really excuse me. i am sorry. so how good are you with an old java/symbian phone even by today's up-top-downgraded ITU standards? besides the cell phone towers are sending you paging packets every seconds its called timsi. temporary IMSI (international mobile subscriber identity) or whatever.... and that fed to HLR via the BTS which is constantly monitoring tour co-ordinates via gps signals obtained by the bts (base tower station).
    i think i am confusing some terms but hell yeah gsm is mind f**king huge when its only 2.0 now we are speaking of LTE.

blehhhhhhhhhh. blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2 factor authentication via sms what rhino s**t is that? when your sms can be read from anywhere who has SS7 access. its not hacking. its simple globally connected SS7 networks which can read edit modify not just sms in plain text but carrier functions and everything including the operating system. screw balls to a5 authentication it broken and the rainbow table is around 1.2 tb.

now SS7 is f**king broken and if you can get a spectrum license and you set up your own cellular company you are now hooked with the whole world's SS7. so while you are sitting in antartica you can monitor someone a cheating husband who sips coffee with his wife in miami in the morning, sleeps with another woman in london at noon and hires a hooker in india in the evening and sleeps illegal married second wife in singapore and comes back to miami early morning next day to tell his wife how much he missed her.... errrrm.

kim from north korea might be reading the sex jokes i send to my girl friend and how she giggles.

why bin laden never used a cellular phone? or even a satellite phone?

Why are there xml OTA updates which can completely change the data structure of what ever cellular phone you are using smart or dumb doesnt matter. look for kennel sms gateway....

wtf ..... if you want that much privacy then paranoia is your best friend or create your own man made island or suicide is even better.

now they are upgrading SS7 with camel, which is the same old S.H.I.T. but even bigger blunder in size..... meh....
    so where is that good ridden privacy? unless you set up your own closed loop gsm network and with own audited code provided its not pre fingured.

i have no objection with me being monitored. just stop peeking with i am having a good time with someone and/or i am in shower. this is my only objection.

so back to old question. how do you find a "specific needle" in a stack of needle? you are using the current cellular technology to block itself? how is that even possible? unless you design your own cellular network? privacy is like chasing dragons in todays world. its doesn't exist. you can block a few things but never fall off the grid. period.

someone please....

12. fabre gastro

May 29, 2018
    again i am going to contradict and i am going to get hated for what i am about to type.
    no i dont know everything and i am not god and i am just an ordinary lazy human being.

what is AI? if you mean artificial intelligence then you are politically incorrect. its machine learning especially deep learning. meh. i just downloaded the trial version of matlab and mathematica and octave to play with google's deep learning algorithm.

besides psychological profiling has been going on for ages since early apes started to question each other on how to evolve.
    algorithmic mutation is the key to any species evolution... the base, you cant deny it. including this forum, did you mean to say you started this forum knowing it all? oh yea.....

algorithms - its being used by all major business establishments to boost their growth. remember ibm's deep blue beating kasperov.

algorithms are used to find cure for numerous cancers and other deadly diseases and brain degenerative disorders.

i am not bothered about it because i am myself into machine learning especially deep learning (financial reasons obviously and i am lazy another reason).

what i dont like is being getting profiled by these bastardized companies to make profit, these social networking sites makes us lab rabbit and skim out our psychological profile and sell it to make gigantic profit, leave ads alone and also motivate in doing specific tasks. many mind altering techniques exists for example ibm's alchemy. but its used not for the benefit of mankind but for these giant corporates like facebook, microsoft, google, apple and et al to boost their profit unethically and purely i think its a criminal offense.
    knife as such is harmless, its the mind which controls the hand which ends up stabbing someone, dont blame the knife, it also cuts vegetables which helps you cook your meal.
    thanks!

13. fabre gastro

May 29, 2018
    hats off! amen!