Am I ready to upgrade to 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xxsisyphusxx, Jan 22, 2014.

1. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    I recently lost my previous MDL account when lavabit went under. I rarely need to post anything, as usually the answer is in the stickies, or a previous user's post. So I just made a new account.

I'd post links to what I've been reading about, but I can't due to my account not having any previous posts. Well, I've read over how AIO installation media is made, and also how to upgrade a Win 8 KMS/activated install to 8.1 using
    "setup.exe /auto:upgrade"

...then I found a pre-activated AIO iso file on TPB for Win 8.1 AIO so I could upgrade.

I spent several hours reading about this stuff, so maybe I missed the answer somewhere. Sorry if that's the case. My questions are:

1.if I use the pre-activated installation of 8.1 from the .iso shown above, will there be a watermark problem if I don't upgrade using the method shown in VMWare by ambidav? ("setup.exe/auto-upgrade")

2. How are these AIO .isos pre-activated?

Thank you for your time. I hope this question hasn't been posted too many times. I couldn't find the answers to those two questions.

2. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    <OT>You can post links. All you have to do is replace the "http" by a "hxxp" (and tell people to reverse the process, duh)</OT>

1. There should generally be no watermark problem if the activation has been done well.

2. You put a script into the ISO that runs activation silently upon install (without nagging the user), an unattended install. The scripts are so small and light that you will never notice their running. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    #3 xxsisyphusxx, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    (OP)

Thank you very much for the info. :biggrin:

Here is the upgrade method I was referring to, "t"s replace with asterisk:

h**p://forums.mydigi*allife.info/*hreads/46825-Upgrade-from-win8E-to-Windows-8-1-En*erprise-Preview-with-quo*-se*up-exe-au*o-upgrade-quo*

Is the script that runs in the background doing that automatically? Or is it something else?

Thanks again for the info! :yeah:

Edit: Also, I have a UEFI motherboard; does that mean I must format my USB drive to FAT 32 and do this to get it to install?
    h**p://forums.mydigi*allife.info/*hreads/46224-Windows-8-UEFI-Ins*all-File-more-*han-4-GB-How

4. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    That's a preview version. Avoid it like the plague. It will expire no matter what you do.

Here is a really simple way to upgrade:
    In my signature you will find links to the repository. Just download the version of Windows you want. Then find an activator (also in signature) and run it. Unattended installs are good but these are better. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, AVOID PREVIEW VERSIONS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    #5 xxsisyphusxx, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    (OP)
    qewlpal said:

Haha. It's that easy?

Nice. I've been reading too many "ancient" posts. MDL community is crazy fast. :eek:

EDIT: The Windows 8.1 media I'll be using happens to be put together by murphy78. Replace **** with "http":

****://thepiratebay.se/torrent/9483139/Windows_8.1_AIO_20in1_x64_en-US_Pre-Activated_DaRT_8.1_Jan2014#

6. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    I can't figure out for the life of me how to use the SECOInjector.

I found a newbie description on how to do it, and I STILL can't get it to work. :confused:

Anybody have a link to a foolproof way to use it?

I've been searching MDL for a couple hours and still can't find a tutorial dumbed down enough for me. :(

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    whats wrong with Microsoft Toolkit? you click "ez-activator" and you are done

8. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    #8 xxsisyphusxx, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    (OP)
    Well, I guess I haven't come across that yet, would be the biggest reason. :eek:

EDIT: If this has been around since 2011, why have people been using things like SECOInjector?

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    It's called evolution.. SECO has been "injected" into MTK... it's the MDL's offficial KMS solution :p

10. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    Still can't upgrade.

Once I try to, I get a message in the typical blue Windows 8 screen simply saying "something happened" and I cannot upgrade.

I'm starting to think a clean install is the only option now.

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    IMO, upgrades are hell anyway. backup all your important stuff if any and take 20 minutes to install a fresh VL version of 8.1 and then use MTK.