AMD 3rd-Gen Ryzen...WOW!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by digiquandry, May 21, 2019.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #141 Joe C, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    What are the systems specs?
    The first gen 2200G and 3200G cpu's were very fussy about the memory (I think most AMD new Zen cpu's were very picky about the memory) you used, They highly recommend to follow the mobo's recommendations for memory when it came to using AMD cpu's/boards....or else suffer buggy-ness

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Sounds like my experience with socket 462, especially the early-socket-462 era (back in the T-bird era) Socket 462 motherboards from 2000 to 2001, were pot luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Well what I like most about my 3700x-based rig is that I'm running Win7 flawlessly yet I still get to have a modern chipset with modern video card, USB 3.1 and other modern I/O. I'm Win7 future-proof for at least another decade...and i suspect even longer.

4. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #144 rayleigh_otter, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    I couldnt take a chance on new stuff running 7 or not so i went with the H310C that does support it and im back to windows 7 thats runs flawlessly and its fast.

Edit - LTSC installs without adding drivers and you only need 4 updates. W7 needs a bit of work 1st and lots of updates but thats a small price to pay. I miss the Metro theme but a trip to deviantart sorts that out. There is no technical reason for me to run windows 10.

5. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #145 Kim100, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    My PC has been away for a week its just been returned. Still freezing up, not as bad as it was. Manufacturer says they have swapped the CPU, updated the BIOS and reinstalled Windows. At first I thought they were taking the piss, now I am thinking that they did swap the CPU but the replacement has the same flaw as the original. AMD have always been a bit shady, its well known that in the past CPUs that failed quality control were recycled, cores disabled and then sold on as lower spec products. I am going to ask the manufacturer to down grade the PC to an A12 CPU, a lot slower but at least it should work:( i3 would be ideal but that's a lot bigger job.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    sorry my good friend but knowing how to do things calmly and intelligently and using MSMG Toolkit 9.4 (now 9.4.1) to remove what is unnecessary at least for my personal use in my humble opinion Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC is The best operating system Microsoft has ever made it is absolutely stable I have never had a bsod / gsod or any other complication; but one very important thing that from my experience I could observe is
    1: Most users don't even know what drivers are and don't even know their function.
    2: a lot of users get home versions which by default don't have the best tool for controlling windows (GPEDIT.MSC) this has been a long time since I even remember the windows NT4 NT5 (Windows 2000) and our beloved Windows XP to me almost a pity masterpiece that for some reason (maybe $$$) the M $ FT has stopped development of the 64 bit version
    3: Really with the advent of universal apps (UWP) the "thing" has changed from water to wine since we were all used to getting more beautiful, faster versions and somehow got in the way of these universal apps; so from windows 8 i believe that anyone who didn't try to "find" any way to make the new windows "usable" this started as far as i know it was right here at mdl with a lot of fellows gathering their knowledge and that never stopped thanks to god and apparently we should continue this same philosophy of "challenging" M $ FT in what we don't like, disagree with or think shouldn't be like many new version behaviors, yet from now on the Company has changed the way it how to send updates to all of us which will only make things worse that we will all have to find new gimmicks of not being "forced" to do what they want for me is absurd
    4. Finally it is certain that no one is required to be a programming expert to just use the internet, watch a movie or listen to music just my 2 cents.

7. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #147 rayleigh_otter, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    If they have sent it back and its still faulty you have a legal case.
    Can you afford(money wise) to write it off and build an i3 machine or just replace the board and cpu for intel? Sometimes you just gotta say bollocks to it and write the cost off. If you can afford it that is. o_O

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Obviously if it was having issues before and they changed out the cpu and it is still having issues, It's probably not just the cpu that is causing this problem. I asked for specs about your board and memory. You should post any specs about the video card and power supply along with the hard drive also. Why not tell us what you have?

9. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Thinking that myself

10. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    As the machine is off the shelf and still in warranty its a bit pointless, I have to keep sending it back. The company that build this machine must be turning out hundreds of these PCs, I cant see them not being aware of any compatibility issues by now.

Here is the spec - AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.7GHz CPU, Radeon RX Vega APU Graphics, mobo GA-A320M-S2H (rev. 1.x) AMD A320 Chipset, 8GB DDR3 Memory [Samsung], 1TB Hard Disk [tried three altogether, not a hdd problem] No graphics card, 500w generic PSU.

I usually build my own but there was only £25 difference between one of the shelf and the parts. I thought this way would be less hassle. If I had built my own PC I probably would have lashed out a bit more on better RAM.

11. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #151 rayleigh_otter, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    @Kim100 They supplied you with a pc that was not "Of Merchantable Quality/Not Fit For Purpose". They fixed and returned said pc and it was still not of "Of Merchantable Quality/Fit For Purpose". You have a case that prolly stands under Contract Law, good job fighting that though. :(

Off the shelf v self build. £100 cheaper buy, £50 cheaper hmm, £25 cheaper build your own. I never bought off the shelf, always self build. IF i get a laptop that would be off the shelf obviously.

12. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I bought the PC from CCl, they sell through eBay. I looked into them, seems a decent outfit, with a bit of luck they will sort it out. Staff at CCL are very helpful, they provide their warranty service through a company called Mendit so its Mendit that failed to find the fault. CCL and Mendit might well be the same company, one side retail the other repair. I will persevere and see where it goes.o_O

13. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    CCL? I been buying parts from them and no problems sofar.

14. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Just bad luck, for them and me if they are having a lot of these PCs go wrong.

15. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #155 rayleigh_otter, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Im the same with 7 on coffee lake, all the benefits of modern fast cpus, connectivity blah blah blah, none of the s**te with windows 10. 7 is rock solid stable here :)

Windows 7, pentium G5400, igpu, board and ram, sweet little pc for £150 :yes:

16. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Luck of the draw :(

17. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    The PSU description, made me throw a red flag! Get a gold-rated PSU, preferably an eVGA SuperNova G3 or a gold-rated Corsair.

18. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    The PC is in for repair under warranty, until I have exhausted that route I am unable to swap/replace anything

19. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    @Kim100 See what they get back to you with and ask if they would swap amd cpu n board for intel, just out of interest. Even if there is a slightly higher price they should do it as a sign of good will and for the damn inconvinience.

20. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I will give it a try, you never know.