AMI BIOS File Format?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by timwj, Jan 21, 2020.

1. timwj

timwj MDL Novice

May 12, 2017
    Hi, I'm trying to investigate the AMI BIOS of a Sonicwall SRA 4200. I have extracted the BIOS flash rom chip (a 39sf040) and dumped it using an Arduino lash-up, it is an AMI BIOS dated 08/05/09.
    The problem is I don’t know what format should I save the data as so I can use the various tools (specifically amibcp?).

Can anyone help? Or suggest what search terms I could use? I have searched for "AMI BIOS File format" for quite a while and come up with nothing.

2. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/a-very-good-bios-tutorial-especially-for-beginners.863/

3. timwj

timwj MDL Novice

May 12, 2017
    Thanks very much for the response Serg008. That doc is interesting, but largely about Award BIOSes., however, did prompt me to solve my own problem - file format is simply a 512k binary dump - I was expecting something more complicated like IntelHex or whatever, but it appears that is not the case. So happily running amibcp now.

4. timwj

timwj MDL Novice

May 12, 2017
    Just to follow up on this, the symptoms I'm getting are that when you boot the device, the AMI BIOS setup does not appear at all, just a very brief log of the Linux app starting.

I initially thought that it just meant the screen were switched off in amibcp, but that doesn't appear to be the case. To my untutored eye, the config looks fine.

Has anyone seen this before and have any ideas?