AMI bios option ROM modding [old title: Intel ICH9R 7.6.0.1011 rom]

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Maf, Nov 24, 2007.

1. p4spooky

p4spooky MDL Addicted

Mar 9, 2008
  2. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    We don't have the tools to extract modules from Intel bios, so you would need to find the option rom somewhere else. Also since Abit is shutting down, it's probably better not to mod it if you don't need it. If there was a problem with it you might have to get a new motherboard.

3. NME

NME MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2008
    I've read here in the forum that is a possibility to extract the ROM(i think YEN posted a link to a foreign site, but cannot find it at this moment) but i don't know how to do it(with Winhex etc.).

4. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    Nope. Read post 11. I'd be glad to be proven wrong tho. It would mean we could start modding Intel BIOS. :)

There might actually be one tool that could help, but we don't have it...

The method you're thinking of might be if someone had that motherboard and copied it from their RAM and pasted into Winhex and saved it as a file.

Your best bet would be to find another motherboard with Award/AMI bios that has it and extract from there.

5. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    im tempted to try on my rampage formula, altho wont risk it just to try still very old 7.6 version, so if someone gets their hand on newest 8.6.1007 bin for ICH9R please let me know :)

6. mox

mox MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2008
    hmm... in new MB with ex58 Socket 1366 may be newest 8.6.1007

7. NME

NME MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2008
    Did anyone find INTEL 8.6.0.1007 rom bios? Any news ?

8. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    should find mobo that is using that bios and try to extract it, problem is i have no idea what mobo is using it, was also looking on google without any luck.

9. tormento

tormento MDL Member

May 10, 2007
    Could you please explain the procedure to implement the latest ich bios in a older bios? Does it "ruin" the slic mod used for vista?

Does anybody know the compatibility between latest ich bios and ich5/6/7/8?

10. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    ich9 and irh10 seems to be compatible at least.

OK this is procedure for ami bios, you open your original bios in mmtool and you extract ALL pci option rom modules. Name then so you know what module is what, for example pci1, pci2.... then you open them in hexeditor and check what module number is your ich option rom, also make SURE they are same size, since i saw 79k ich option roms and 64k option roms, have no idea why they are different size and i wouldnt try change them if they are also some mobos are using seperate ich AHCI option roms (some mobos with award bios), so just make sure your are replacing correct one and same size. Then you just replace ich module with your new one in mmtool, save bios and you are done. Bios that has only modules replaced is also updatable over ezflash, not like that slic adding when im geting "invalid boot block". Also if your mobo is using 79k ich rom, then you will need to find it on your own, they seems to be less common but just check couple of new x58 mobos (foxconn i think is using it, not sure tho). About slic, its probably preserved, but im not using that, because that "invalid boot block" error doesnt seems right and i dont want to flash from dos, since i feel like im forcing update that shouldnt be done :) what i would do if i would use slic, to be sure everything is correct is, i would first change all modules in original bios and add slic later.

I guess its same for award bioses just that you need to do it with cbrom, i didnt replace modules in any award bios, was just using cbrom so i was able to extract modules from award bios, so i cant help on that department.

11. tormento

tormento MDL Member

May 10, 2007
    Thanks, I'll try the procedure for my P5E and P5Q Deluxe and I'll report the results ;)
    If you upgrade form Asus WinUpdate, everything works OK.

12. tormento

tormento MDL Member

May 10, 2007
    I have successfully modded my P5E 1022 bios to intel rom 8.5.0(1030).

I'd like to replace the JMicron rom too but the one I have found inside a MSI bios is larger than mine.

The original P5E 1022 JMicron is 15872 bytes, the Maximus Extreme Custom 1202 JMicron is 32768. Even the header of the hex is different.

Could somebody more expert than me with some spare time check them out? ;)

P.S: Is there any tool like MMTool for award/phenix bios?
    P.P.S: Anyone noticed the boot message of ICH telling "encrypted" with a pink asterisk? Any idea about this feature?

13. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    this is because there are 2 different jmicron chips, JMB363 and JMB368, your mobo is probably using JMB368 like mine does (rampage formula) and yes its 15.5k of size, newest version i found was in some MSI board 1.06.78, can upload if you want.

14. tormento

tormento MDL Member

May 10, 2007
    In the mean time I found the correct size JMicron 1.06.78 and successfully modded it. However, thanks.

Could you please find a Marvell 88SE61xx Adapter rom newer than 1.1.0.L70d?

That version is included in the standard P5Q Deluxe 1702.

15. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    sorry, but my mobo is not using that chip and as you might now, figuring out what mobo is using it and then checking xyz amount of bioses takes quiet a lot of time :( but in all honesty doubt there is any new version as far as i know marvell (or mobo manufactures) they are really slack regarding their roms. Was trying to find new marvell rom for network adapter, but couldnt find any newer then original 1.03 version that is already intergraded and its from year 2005....

16. tormento

tormento MDL Member

May 10, 2007
    I have found it. Check my following post.