An Antivirus suggestion ?!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by xhemal1325, Sep 20, 2017.

1. UmbraEmsi

UmbraEmsi Emsisoft Community Manager

Sep 26, 2017
    my choices on Win10

Free AV: Windows Defender, good enough and no-brainer.
    Paid AV: Emsisoft Anti-Malware, simple to use and efficient.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    If I have to run a full scan, eventually I pick Emsisoft Emergency Kit (portable), this is great stuff. Followed by Zemana Antimalware Portable.

3. UmbraEmsi

Sep 26, 2017
    Those are my OD scanners as well with HMP.

4. browneylad

browneylad MDL Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Kaspersky free is by far the best choice for a free av but won't satisfy some like me who always complain about heavy resource usage :D. Alternatively, Comodos CCAV & free IS packs are not bad given they sandbox everything; which can be annoying at times but does keep safe. Comodo's malware signature is good, updates regularly. CCAV(cloud av) is very light on resources & pc/laptop.. Add Zemana antilogger as 2nd opinion, many premium giveaways can be found now & you can grab one.

If you go for paid then above UmbroEmsi's suggestion of Emsisoft and/orr Hitmanpro is the best imo. Light on resource & excellent protection.

5. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
    Windows Defender is good protecting, when u open a file, But Can I also get infected while browsing on the web ? (Kaspersky did blocked alot when browsing the web ) ?

6. UmbraEmsi

Sep 26, 2017
    On Windows 10 Creator Update, Windows Defender must be considered as a component of Windows Defender Security Center which include:
    - Windows Defender (real-time scanner + cloud)
    - Windows Firewall (basic firewall)
    - Smartscreen (cloud-based reputation system-wide mechanism), which is also present in Edge and this will protect you while browsing; if you don't use Edge, Smartscreen will only check files you downloaded and may warn you (or block based on your setting) about suspicious or unknown programs from being executed.

Note than the next upgrade (Fall update) , WDSC will implement an anti-exploit (aka the ex-EMET)

7. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    One reason why I uninstalled Kaspersky Free was that it was blocking pages that I have used for long without any troubles. Wrong alerts and false positives make me feel sick and tired.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Agree, I used for more than a year and never got ONE SINGLE warning that was not a false positiv. Which is the actual real problm I have with basically all AV software. Win Defender never does that....
    But I will try these Emisoft and Zemana portable ones. Malwarebytes works fine, but this continuous harrassing with their updates to allow them tzo collect all the data they want, is getting on my nerves. Everytime you use it, you have to remember to answer No THREE TIMES!

9. UmbraEmsi

Sep 26, 2017
    the updated database is large , it probably took the rest of the space.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Emsisoft gotta do something about this, not good. Unlike Zemana's which is quite small.

11. UmbraEmsi

Sep 26, 2017
    At least you don't need an active internet connection once it is updated to use it on offline machines.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Well yes. This is an upside anyway.

13. UmbraEmsi

Sep 26, 2017
    I like Windows Defender on win10 because it is built-in and system aware, i don't like MSE on Win7 because as a standalone product i have to install, i rather install something way more solid.

14. ultimo404

ultimo404 MDL Member

Oct 3, 2017
    For free, I prefer Kaspersky or Avast. Emsisoft and ESET are the best paid in my opinion.

15. Luke Cage

Luke Cage MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2017
    I think it's better you stick with Kaspersky Anti Virus because it gives advance level of security what others hardly offers in that range, rest assured of the sluggishness of pc after installation of kaspersky Anti virus as I myself a avid user of that brand.