Annihilate Windows Search service.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kalatushkin, Feb 24, 2016.

1. kalatushkin

kalatushkin MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2016
    I want to know where Windows Search service writes information to and uninstall the file because disabling the service does not delete the information that Windows Search service has gathered.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @JBenal: Not sure about Windows 8.x or 10. But for 7, it works. :)

For the record, I did check to see if I was answering a Windows 7 question.

(No Senior Moment here :D )

5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Leave the Windows Search enabled in the feature list. Disabling this also disables the search in the start menu and the search window in explorer. These still work with the Windows Search service disabled, as the search service is related to indexing.

To delete indexed stuff, go to control panel, then view it as small icons so you can actually find the settings you want. Click in indexing options, advanced, then click on rebuild. Select 'OK' when prompted, as a dialogue box appears saying that reindexing will take a while. This should wipe the currently indexed stuff, and since the service is disabled it won't rebuild.

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Just a reminder to disable the service, but leave the feature enabled :), then do the above.