Announcing 1.1.1.1: the fastest, privacy-first consumer DNS service

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tonto11, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #21 tonto11, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    (OP)
    Hi Joe:
    Let me try again

When you connect your pc to the router
    it automatically uses the DNS provided by the router

BUT
    you can set your pc to use a different DNS like this:

Changing DNS server settings on Windows 7

1.Go to the Control Panel.
    2.Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
    3.Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. ...
    4.Select the Networking tab. ...
    5.Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. ...
    6.Click OK.\

Now your pc uses it's own DNS which you have specified
    not the DNS specified by the router until you set it back to the default.

Now to save you the bother of doing this on each pc you connect. you can install a second router programmed with the new DNS in series with the original router

Now when you connect a pc OR TV OR WHATEVER using default settings to the original router it will use the original DNS

and when you connect to the second router it will use the new DNS.

...T

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #22 Joe C, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Thanks, I was not aware that just setting the DNS on my pc would change the server I can connect to going through the AT&T modem. The modem uses a different DNS and I thought it would go through that DNS of the modem first automatically.

I already have way too much crap plugged into my outlets and if I do not need to plug in another router, I can just use my pc that's o.k. by me

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: I did what Tonto suggested and just changed it in Windows.

It worked fine.

As an experiment, I tried changing it at the router, but the router refused to work.

On a side note, I did a google search for a torrent. Didn't care which one, but normally, the torrent sites publish your WAN IP so that they can scare you into purchasing their VPN.

No IPs showed up. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: If you have two network stacks (IP V4 and IP V6) then set both of them.

6. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
  7. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    I use this and it is fast for me, like it :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

8. Satoshi19

Satoshi19 MDL Member

Jun 15, 2017
    What about security?

9. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    its called
    its called doh aka dns over https, its more likely ssl. so its impressive. but....
    this means if its busted we are busted as well.
    i would bet my pennies on dns over tls aka dot which i guess will be way much more better than doh.
    back in 2007 till 2012 i used to jump paid public wifi with my own iodine server.
    sound interesting but google and cloudflare and mozilla, i trust neither of these corporations.