Another SP1 Prerequisite... for laptops...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tehtechie, Feb 22, 2008.

1. tehtechie

tehtechie Guest

#1 tehtechie, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
    It looks like Microsoft has another prerequisite for installing Vista SP1 on a laptop. You have to have it plugged in to the AC adapter, or you cannot continue with the installation. At the moment, I had 50% battery life remaining, which was about 2 hours, and I attempted to install SP1.

The message was:

"Setup requirements"

"Before installing Service Pack 1, plug in your mobile PC power cord to ensure that your computer maintains power during the installation."
    (See attachment for screenshot)

I was denied until I plugged in the AC adapter. I guess it's kind of a smart idea. Running out of battery in the middle of a Service Pack install would NOT be a good thing!

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Kinda good idea, I think....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    States this in the instructions provided with SP1

4. tehtechie

tehtechie Guest

Yes, I now noticed it mentioned in the deployment guide for SP1. The deployment guide isn't going to be something the average joe reads though. And, even at that, the deployment guide has it listed as a "predeployment task", along with "Back up data", "Read the release notes"... etc. It doesn't state that it's a requirement.