[ANSWERED] How to remove inbox drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ivankehayov, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ivankehayov

ivankehayov MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    What's the easiest way to remove inbox drivers from boot.wim and install.wim using dism or PS?
    I like to create batch file to remove some useless drivers offline without using 3rd party software.
    All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

2. ivankehayov

ivankehayov MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    Normally dism and powershell can find/list all drivers but to remove only few of them (3rd party) but not the inbox ones.
    The same stands for packages - NORMALLY dism can remove just a few but with modifying corresponding registry values dism can remove all.
    I believe removing inbox drivers with dism needs similar approach - registry modification and/or permissions change.
    Can anybody help here?

3. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Maybe change the thread title to "using DISM to remove default win 10 drivers".

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    You mean Drivers that are flagged as Inbox.
    For W10 I accomplished to remove drivers while modiffing the "DRIVERS" hive.
    It's been a while that i looked into it.

Just took a quick look now in the store and compared a little.
    If I remember right you have to change the first 2 bytes from "Version".
    Inbox = FF
    3rd = 00

So change the beginning first FF from the Inboxdriver to 00.

5. ivankehayov

ivankehayov MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    Thanks a lot, KNARZ! That's it!
    I was looking all over internet for a week and couldn't find any info about that.
    Do you know any tool or script to do automatic registry change and drivers removal. I think install_wim_tweak.exe do similar registry change to remove packages? I want to remove about half of the inbox drivers from LTSC and manual change of all these registry values is very time consuming.

6. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I'm not surprised that you didn't found any further info on that. ;)
    forget install_wim_tweak, use dism or something thats based on it.

there are no tools or (public) scripts I know of that handle inbox drivers.

I would recommend that you create your own script to modify the values and run it with nsudo to avoid permission stuff (and also not to change them)

(I created a script to remove inbox drivers for w7 but it won't work for w10 and it was not pretty.)

7. ivankehayov

ivankehayov MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    Thanks for your reply and advice but unfortunately my scripting skills are limited to create basic bat/cmd files with simple commands only :(. If I can make such a script I will do it for sure. Perhaps it's time to upgrade my knowledge in scripting and now I have good motivation to do it :).

Of course, if anybody has already created any script to do the job is very welcome to share it here.