[Answered] Only 2 Icons Showing on Taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by duster340, Jan 26, 2022.

Tags:
  1. duster340

duster340 MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2022
    My wife's computer is old like mine and its an Asus model P8P67 LE and there are only 2 icons showing on taskbar. I've tried everything I know to bring them back but don't know what she did in the first place. Is there any hope that there is some sort of remedy or fix to bring this back. Also one is safely remove hardware which is not a good thing.
    Thanks.

Footnote: I'm still getting bumped out having to input my data and sure wish this could be fixed!

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you change anything and reboot, are the changes reverted/undone? If yes, it sounds like something called family safety is enabled.

Or the temp profile is triggered by something else.

3. duster340

Jan 20, 2022
    @Enthousiast Not sure if I understand other than one can reboot after any change but the 2 icons are the only ones on the taskbar. I don't think family safety is enabled since from my understanding from the wife it had to due with Avast Premier Security but she can't remember the app that hid her icons but never turn them back on hence icons went bye bye.. I can't think of the app from Avast but I'm quite sure they may have dropped it due to this happening to other ppl.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #4 kaljukass, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    This problem was one of the most typical of Windows 7, there are millions of tutorials on how to get them back, but none of them work in reality.
    This is a registry damage, and if you have an original registry backup, there is some hope of getting them back, but first you need to find out why they were lost. But often even restoring registry won't help. When I used W7, it hapened some times for me too and then I studied it deeply, but must say, din't found any good and working solution. From Windows 8 haven't had such a problem never aagain.
    Otherwise, there is only one solution, and you probably know that. This is a new completely clean installation. So, I'll recommend clean install, because it's the fastest way to fix everything.
    So, the choice is yours!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. duster340

Jan 20, 2022
    Thank you kaijukass for your input and I totally agree with your comments. Since its my wife's computer she can deal with it. *Just kidding*
    Cheers mate

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you try an inplace/repair upgrade?

What is the output of "sfc /scannow"?

7. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    My opinion ---- >

>So, I'll recommend clean install, because it's the fastest way to fix everything.

Yes , but first transfer all the data you want to keep from C to somewhere safe ............ then format C and reinstall ......... and make a C copy so that if it gets messed up again you can put the copy back i n again in a few minutes .

8. duster340

Jan 20, 2022
    @ case sensitive I have 3 images on different internal HD's all dated about 4 days apart. I'm always backing up since better to be safe than sorry.

@Enthousiast the out come of sfc /scannow is nothing found wrong. How does one mark this solved? Thanks again for all your input. Great remembers helping others.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What solved it?

10. duster340

Jan 20, 2022
    Going to re_install Windows 7 Pro..

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Then go to the upper right corner and press "Thread tools" and "edit title" to [ANSWERED].

12. duster340

Jan 20, 2022
    Thanks again for your help as this board is very different to the ones I'm used too! cheers