Anti virus recommendation?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Legendaryone, May 10, 2010.

1. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    There is a fix to that as well. Take ownership of avnotify.exe. Go into the advanced permissions of avnotify.exe and restict the system, admins, and users from executing the file.

BTW, if you're wondering, it had no affect on my update problem.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I have to agree with you too dude. Only I use N360 4.0 with the same AV technology and I have to say that it is very good. It is really light on resources and I have noticed that N360 has actually picked up several worm viruses in my computer that KIS, Avira, Mcafee, and MSE did not even pick up. Kinda interesting when you think about it lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Funny these files were ending up in appdata I think and Avira would detect and move them to quarantine but when I full scanned with Malwarebytes it found like 3 Trojans that were creating those files and since then no files have been detected as all by Avira.

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    nice, I had that same issue with a pre-cracked copy of winrar where it dumped a file in the system32 folder that of course was not detected by Mcafee but was detected by Norton and ZA IS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SavinivaS

SavinivaS MDL Junior Member

Sep 19, 2007

OK, I will correct you but since your posts in this thread were not relevant to my original question, this will be my last response on the subject. I don't care to engage in endless debate with you:

I stated that I had been an Avira 9 user for several years and asked for feedback from users of the FREE version of Avira 10, not the PREMIUM suite.

There is no ProActive, no WebGuard and no firewall in the FREE version of Avira. So just about everything you said in the quoted post is incorrect or irrelevant to the Avira issues and problems I initially referred to.

That there were a lot of complaints, criticisms and generally negative reports on the initial release of Avira 10 is an indisputable, historical fact! Just go and read the Avira FREE support forums and the Avira threads on the Wilders Security Forums if you need to verify this fact. I don't need you to "bet" or speculate on what "those posts on the AVIRA forum are about". I've read the forums, you obviously haven't.

Again, I specifically asked for comment from users of Avira 10 FREE - not for suggestions on alternative commercial products or vague, useless advice about not "downloading stuff that might get you infected". Thanks for that profound wisdom...

Now, good day...

6. R0H1T

R0H1T MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #26 R0H1T, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    NO I haven't strolled through the AVIRA forum or other AV forums for that matter as I haven't ran across any glitch/bug that can't be handled by me ! As far as free solutions are concerned I say AVAST tops the list with AVIRA a close second & AVG a distant third combine them with Outpost firewall(free) or Zonealarm & you have the best possible FREE security solution out there for an average user. I usually reinstall win7 every couple of months or so & I've tried every possible AV/firewall solution known including the free ones hence I don't read their forums for an opinion.
    "downloading stuff that might get you infected" that's just a friendly advice !

7. knetxp

knetxp MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2010
    1. Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    2. ESET NOD32 AntiVirus
    3. Doctor Web
    4. Norton Internet Security 2010
    5. Avast Free
    6. AVG Antivirus Free Edition

8. asrockw7

asrockw7 MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    anyone tried panda cloud? how is it?

9. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I think you mean "Quick Heal"?
    Yes?

10. rokez

rokez MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
  11. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I like KAV cause it has the best rating with false positive as others detect tons of files as malwares expect this is not a malware so at the end you're not able to know if your hard drive has a malware written on it or not.
    anyway an antivirus is just the cure, it cannot detect something that it doesnt know so i'll recommend to use comodo FW, there's a part in it named Defense+ that alerts you about any activity a file is going to do after u try to run it, Defense+ blocks the file activity so u answer all the alerts by allowing them or not if you find something suspect or not.
    i found a lot of malwares using this method as scanner was unable to detect any threat.

12. Psqad

Psqad MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    why is that? it is an independed comparision. personal experiance is also enormously biased. i mean that personal experiance depent on the user, of which i do not know his/her experience or level of knowledge.
    this kind of tests will test features while the common user do not think about that.

13. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    Actually i'm used the new Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0.0.53 fully x64 compatible with IDS (Intrusion DetectionSystem) and lot's of stuff, and i can say it's very strong product against lot of different threats.

a+
    windsman

14. techyy

techyy MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2010
    I have used Bitdefender, Eset and Kaspersky and I feel all three were good in not giving false positives, except kaspersky which did give a few ones to me..

But the scanning times are very different.. I found bit defender very slow in scanning, although its very effective. But Eset was the fastest.

So, I would suggest you to go with ESET as it gives very less false positives, scans quickly & is very low on resources. One drawback I found was it did not detect one of my Pendrive virus. But I deleted that manually. So, no issue if you know how to stay away from pendrive viruses.:cool:

15. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Eset is the way to go

16. wetpuppy

wetpuppy MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2010
    @Anti virus recommendation

Microsoft security essentials ... free and not inferior to the others

17. bdjfreestyle

bdjfreestyle MDL Member

Nov 24, 2009
  18. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    avira premium security suite