Anti virus recommendation?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Legendaryone, May 10, 2010.

1. limcarl

limcarl MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    I like Microsoft Security Essentials.

2. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    I find it a bit surprising that you would gladly rip off Adobe and Microsoft a few 1000 bucks and be ok if your act does not come 100% together, but not spend the lousy 50 bucks or some to actually have a decent, reliable, antivirus/antimalware/anti-* software.
    Think about it, it is easily the most important software you will ever use. So why be cheap on that particular software?

5 years ago I bought and Eset SmartSecurity Business Edition 5 License for about 160$ dollars and I keep renewing it for around 110$ a year. A single user license costs 59$.

Please observe the difference between Smart Security and Antivirus. The former is comparable to Norton Internet Security when it comes to features, the latter is only AV.

www betterantivirus com / catalog/eset-smart-security-home-edition-licenses-c-55_30_43.html for a price tag.

(No I dont work for Eset, but it caught all viruses and malware since the first setup...)

3. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Been using Eset for 1 year now, mainly because it doesn't slow down my computer. But it does have problems with cleaning virus in NTFS external HDD. It can't clean the virus, saying that the files is locked and i need to reboot to clean, which is still there after rebooting. I had to manually clean the virus though. (and that has happened many time with many virus) :|

4. xiezhoupeng351_

xiezhoupeng351_ MDL Junior Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I use Norton Internet Security 2010 on my home computer and F-Secure on my office computer

5. sandipandi

sandipandi MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2010
    I am limited due to being 64 bit, I know it's not an antivirus but I wish I could use Zone Alarm....that being said, I use Avast. It pops up when Kaspersky didn't, on trojans on websites and other things on the web. I've been happy with it, whenever I suspect I have been hit by something, HiJack this and other scanners tell me nope, you're clean. TY Avast.

6. v0id

v0id MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #46 v0id, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    NOD32 FTW! Beats out anything out there in terms of system performance + security!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. v0id

v0id MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #48 v0id, Jun 8, 2010
  9. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    #49 Matrix Leader, Jun 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. zedbra

zedbra MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    i use NOD32 on one system and KIS on another. i like 'em both. they both give top protection over the other guys... NAV sux:p

11. chianf092

chianf092 MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Same here been using NOD32 forever and have had zero problems....

12. Yoshi

Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I would recommend ESET Smart Security/ AV, too. Renewed the License a few days ago and never had any problems. :)

13. MinDokan

MinDokan MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2010
    2010 version isn't bad at all. But, I don't recommend it. :S
    Indeed.

Yep, the Antivirus doesn't fail.

14. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    1) An AV that catches over 99% of malware cannot 'suck', because the definition of 'sucks', which stands for real real bad, and the fact that something misses the perfect mark by less than 1%, are unmatchable.

2) The Golden Gate Bridge is a pretty sturdy building. While it can easily withstand the weight of many trucks it would probably break down if you tried to send an oil-tanker across it. Ergo: Do not try to send an oil-tanker across it. And everything will be alright.

(We in the business call this 'using common sense'. Its what makes up for the 0.x% that Avira cannot provide.)

15. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    For how many videos this guy makes, he has no idea wtf he is doing. You don't test an AV by browsing to misc. websites and downloading potential, unconfirmed 0day's. Yeah, that is one small feature of an antivirus (stop new threats), but you have millions of samples of known viruses which most antivirus products still have trouble detecting.

There are true experts who test these products on a regular basis and I have yet to see one study where Avira is not near the top of the pack.

16. wetpuppy

wetpuppy MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2010

Links to those trusted expert reviews/studies will be appreciated we want make our minds too

.../

17. v0id

v0id MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Just see my video that i posted here and you will se that Avira fail!

18. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #58 WCCobra, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    matousec.com
    virusbtn.com
    malwareresearchgroup.com
    icsalabs.com
    checkvir.com
    westcoastlabs.org
    av-test.org
    av-comparatives.org
    anti-malware-test.com

Not saying Antivir is perfect (no AV is), but they all can't be wrong.

19. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I'm running a combination of KIS and Malwarebytes with zero problems and conflicts. :)

20. flare4000

flare4000 MDL Senior Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I had run that settup and a bitdefender one currently using eset with Malwarebytes with 0 problems