Anticipating Windows 10 RTM(GA On Jul 29) - would It Be Build 10400, 10800, or 12000?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by FaiKee, May 31, 2015.

1. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
  2. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't really care what build it is but I am wondering when RTM will be. Yeah, yeah we all know we will get our sticky little fingers on it July 29th but when is RTM? The PC makers need it well in advance of when we can get it. The process of manufacturing, burning, shipping and distribution through several wholesalers before mom and pop and littly Johnny can see it on BestBuy's shelves takes weeks I'm sure and unless MS is going to screw their biggest partners I would guess RTM has to be in the next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

3. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I guess, RTM date should be in the first week of July or Last week of June.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    ASUS already announced a new transformer book with Windows 10 earlier this week although I haven't seen an availability date yet. With all the MS ads on tv already starting I'm sure other manufacturers will start making announcements too.

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    far too early. Escrow turns to Gold sometimes mid July = Sign off. Shortly after first isos will be spotted in the wild as usual, my 2 cents

6. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #86 Don, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Does that mean the general public will be getting it before the manufactures can start delivering machines? I can't imagine any reason why MS would do that. For reference Windows 8 went RTM on August 1st and GA on October 26th, obviously we won't have that cushion and in this day and age probably don't need it but they will need more than a week or two.

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Someone needs to ask him how a PC sold with Windows 7 pre-installed (OEM SLP) will handle being upgraded to Windows 10 since the key isn't unique like it is for Windows 8.x. They're offering the upgrade to everyone after all, yet some people do actually have laptops and netbooks where the COA sticker has faded to the point where it's unreadable.

I remember someone quoted some text a while back that said that the upgrade won't ask you for a key either before or after the upgrade. How would it reactivate an older PC that was sold with Windows 7 from a clean reinstall though? I can only guess that it'll require you to login to a Microsoft account to complete activation. That is unless they allow OEM SLP keys in Windows 10 RTM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Paul, I've heard last week that most of the Windows guys had been transferred out of RTM, to take care of GDR1, sorry for your 2 cents. :D

Btw, get your jukebox ready for new residents next week ....... oh, I think I've mentioned about that on Mon, when everybody were expecting to see 10134 "coming up shortly". :rasta:

9. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013

Personally I am hoping in this case it would look at the BIOS and see if Windows 7 would activate against it - if not, check 8, and so on.

10. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    OK, since I don't have such valuable input from MS guys I only can talk about how it was handled in the past. Perhaps some changes were made and they hurry to bring stuff out.
    Meantime I let my 2 cents sit as a bet :D
    Btw, Jukebox is perfectly pruned and ready for new entries ... :tasty:

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    This is amazing as usual man! :worthy:

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  13. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
  14. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
  15. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Actually, there was this discussion in QQ chat about this trick(LOL, those were MS and OEM guys, lmao), naturally nobody would know if it could work until they could test it when the upgrade tool is out:

If you have a win7 X86 on a old P4(or whatever), naturally you won't want win10 on it, even if it could be installed, so install a win7Ultimate X64 on your new shiny machine, emulate it with BIOS mod or loader, and when the tool asks for COA, enter the COA on the P4 ........... :D

16. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Probably because it's showing up on systems activated with OEM SLP and not just COA. Microsoft does a license check prior to offering you the upgrade, so they know what systems they're giving the update out to. So in my opinion it's kind of pointless to offer it to people activated over OEM SLP when many of them won't have any other key anymore.

Keep in mind that millions of people have had a Windows 7 laptop or netbook since 2009. The COA sticker is normally placed underneath the device too, so for an extremely large number of people that code would of faded away by now. I know that on many of the devices around me the codes have vanished even though the systems are 100% genuine. If Microsoft were to say "too bad, buy a key" then that's only going to encourage people to find other ways to get Windows 10 for free.

I meant that there's no other way to do it unless the OS has a form of WAT built in that sends your HWID to Microsoft and then it'll activate your system. It's not like you can type in a Windows 7 key and it'll accept it.

17. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Will be build 10200

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    no ..........

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    There won't be a COA check so that's no problem Microsoft should be perfectly aware that their stupid stickers fade over the years, it's likely that the BIOS mods will all endup geniue if Microsoft doesn't have some sort of Hardware database for actual legit OEM devices but if they had the loader would have long been defeated so... i doubt it. For people on 7 Home/Home Premium on a Laptop (with SLIC) this would also kind of mean if they upgraded (or upgrade now) to W7 Pro/ultimate and re-apply the licenses and then upgrade to W10 they will have W10 Pro instead of W10 Home.