antivirus and dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by martyn, Jul 3, 2009.

1. martyn

martyn MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2009
    hi have dual boot vista and win 7

vista - norton internet security (dont work with win 7)

win 7 - no antivirus

thinking of installing a compatible antivirus on win 7.

possible problem, 2 antivirus on 1 pc can create havoc

any ideas or suggestions please

thanks
    martyn

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. martyn

martyn MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2009
    Thanks Hmonk for you detailed explanation and solution to my request for help.

I agree previous versions of norton were resource hogs.. however my experience with norton internet security 2009 is totally different.

1.5 mins to install, no reboots, very silently in the background, jumping to attention only when needed.

saying all that its not win7 compatible and the beta versions key expires in only 14 days.

will check out your recommendations

thanks again
    Martyn

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I do have to give Symantec Credit with their 2009 line of products. I have found myself liking the new products. They are a lot less invasive, in the fact that I remember old versions of NIS that if you pressed Do not Allow to the wrong app you could really hose your internet connection. The new apps are very good for Standard PC users even good for beginners, they also do not take up half as much memory as they used to. However they still require a yearly subscription and there are other products out there that are free that run just as well.

I have been saying this a lot lately but take a look at Microsoft's new Security Suite. It runs off the same engine as Forefront which has gotten great ratings and reviews on AV-Comparatives.org. It is free and works with Windows 7, so until your preferred manufacturer comes out with a Win7 product you can't go wrong with something that is free and will pull updates from Windows Update.

5. martyn

martyn MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2009
    thanks for the info.. where is it for free? i only found a 120 day trial for business users

thanks again
    Martyn

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Good to have feedback on Symantec. Been a while since I've actually used it and know only what I've read in various articles/reviews. Perhaps the 2009 version has addressed many of the past issues. That said, if you really want to get what might be ultimate protection for free, the Comodo suite is hard to beat and rated way above most, including Kaspersky. It is a bit of a beast though. :(

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    @Lolphirae

Thanks for the clarification on the buggy versions. As I mentioned, I have not used Symantec/Norton for some time but articles keep popping up that seem to persist in their complaints about bugs or odd behaviors.

Monk

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I have enjoyed reading many of your responses to the A/V posts, and I must agree on the misguided insistence on using Symantec programs. There seem to be many free, or less expensive, apps that do a much better job with less overhead.

I have run many systems without an A/V program for many years, and have avoided infection on them.

I think the media has many users paranoid of the mad virus' and such.

Maybe propaganda from some of the major players in the pay market??:D:D:eek:

At any rate, I luv the Comodo suite..If I needed to be bulletproof, this would be my choice..

9. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    @911medic

I wholeheartedly agree about Comodo. Sadly, for me, it had a learning curve that threatened to outlive me. :(

One issue I had was that it tagged stuff which it then prevented from being backed up. After this and a few other behaviors which I was not able to find a ready solution for, I gave up and reinstalled ZA and Avast.

Monk