Any chance of building Embedded RDP thinclient that will run on 256MB laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by doveman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I'm just looking at options at the moment and currently have Thinstation (linux based, running rdesktop) or LiveXP as options, but thought it might be nice if I could build a Win7 based RDP thinclient so that the laptop can take advantage of the improvements to RDP when connecting to a Win7 server.

I've managed to build a 571MB Win7PE ISO which boots and runs OK in 256MB, but it only leaves about 90MB free (165MB used, 90MB Available, 11MB Free) so I'm not sure if it would start crashing after running an RDP session for a while. I can't use a pagefile at all as I'm running from a CF card so need to avoid writing to it too much. It's possible I can reduce the Win7PE build a bit more by leaving some more stuff out, but I haven't got much in it as it is and the only thing I can think of stripping out is DirectX11 but I think that might be necessary for RDP (to take advantage of all it's features at least).

So I'm just wondering if I might be able to make a Win7 Embedded build that leaves a bit more RAM free or whether I should stick with Win7PE?