Any driver updating program that provides .exe's ?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ceo54, Mar 27, 2021.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi,

Lot's of online driver installing program on the market but the ones I tried only download the extracted .inf and .sys files and install the drivers from within program itself. Is there any program from this category that provides the self executable .exe's instead ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I seriously doubt that, even Microsoft driver updates do not contain installers. It would needlessly increase the expensive bandwidth. But some manufacturers provide updaters, that actually contain installers.

3. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Nvidia, for example, is downloadable as an .exe. I you want you can extract it with WinRAR or 7zip, and install that way. The point being that any .exe would more-than-likely just be a self extracting compressed file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    My manufacturer HP doesn't provide any drivers neither for older OS's like Win 7 or 8.1 nor for the newer versions of Windows 10 20H1 or 20H2 etc. My only option from this point onward is to rely on 3rd prty programs for driver support. But I want the installers that I could double click and install and skip the hassle of going to device manager. It also keeps the backup organized and tidy.

Thank you for the reaction Tairiku.

5. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    No vendor is providing the drivers for the Win 7/8.1 now and 3rd party application is the way to go from here. I want the .exe installers not the extracted files. Is there a way to pack these extracted files in an self extracted archive and somehow redirect it to Window driver installer module ??

6. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #6 EXO56, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Right-click on *.Inf files triggers 'Install' entry in context menu. No need to use device manager. if entry is missing, you can easily add it via registry.
    Device manager can be used in rare cases right-click method halts on error.

Easyest method is to create a batch file using drivers command-line tools (Windows built-in, or whatever working for your specific driver)
    Example: "rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultInstall 128 .\inf-file-name.inf"
    To go further, once the batch created using a command-line tool or another, you can wrap everything in a SFX (WinRar, 7zip install builders, built-in iexpress, Inno Setup, advanced install builders ...)
    (excluding the tool used if it's in your system path)

(A contrario, many users always extract *.inf files from installers because it has the advantage to be usable in different ways, including command-line tools)

7. HHo2016

HHo2016 MDL Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Some drivers might be found in the Microsoft Update Catalog - paste the device HW ID into the search box. After downloading the .CAB files, just extract them all using 7-Zip to a common folder. Then you can run pnputil -i -a "[path to driver INFs]\*.inf" in an elevated Command Prompt window to install all those drivers in one go.

8. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    That was all very helpful, thank you. I understood I can install the drivers from .bat file now I'm gonna have to figure out out pack them self extracting installer.

9. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
  10. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    This is one more way to get the drivers, thanks for heads up. Also, I never knew about pnputil, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Command saved for use.

11. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
  12. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    The long way round :) ---- > Get drivers , put drivers in , make driver backup with DriverPackSolution ........ result is a backup as an exe .

13. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
  14. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    This is exactly what I'm trying to do but the app you linked me to only giving me the option to back up the installed drivers. The option to download the drivers from their database online and back them up as exe is grayed out. And I couldn't figure out how can I use my own drivers and make exe through their backup feature.

15. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    #18 ceo54, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    (OP)
    I tried the command and got this error :

Code:
    C:\temp>pnputil -i -a netrtwlane.inf
    Microsoft PnP Utility

Processing inf :            netrtwlane.inf
    Failed to install the driver on any of the devices on the system : No more data is available.

Total attempted:              1
    Number successfully imported: 0
    The package has all the necessary files, .cat, .sys and .int also I successfully installed the same package through device manager. Any ideas ?

16. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Ran this command with result: installation failed

17. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015