Any folks here re-purposing ancient Android devices ??

Discussion in 'Android' started by smallhagrid, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    I am trying to get My Gica ATV582 going again. I bought this android box new many years ago, it has never really been great but I did have it working with my Windows home network for playing videos from 2 PCs to my bedroom TV (non-smart) using Kodi as the player. This is all I want to do again with it, but because it is so old in Android versions, (4.2.2 ) it won't allow other apps to work on it!
    I have found a flash fix to up it to Lollipop 5.1.1 but can't get anything to run smoothly on it. Buggy, laggy, horrible to try to deal with!! Anyone with some guidance would be greatful.

2. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Forced obsolescence by the goog monster...per usual.
    My own favourite version is 4.4.2 & there are sites which store mirrored copies of the 'older' APKs.
    If it worked before with an older version & matching APKs, it should be possible to make it work again just as it did before.
    The exception is always sites like netflix & YT which force 'updates' & Kodi can be used with older versions - I've done it.
    There will be limitations imposed externally.
    I only retired our Kitkat TV box because the person who watches TV here could no longer use it for netflix.
    It still works perfectly otherwise.

3. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    It was running 4.2.2 and it's latest possible version of Kodi, (Jarvis, maybe) when it failed to be able to network with the PCs.
    Nice of Goog to take this device away from me just because it is older.....but was still working fine!

4. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I have a truly ancient tablet - not upgradeable & with v2.1 - and wanted to use it with VLC...
    I made a thread here or someplace else asking for help finding an older version good for that device, and...viola !!
    Someone pointed me at a site with mirrors of older version APKs - got that - sideloaded it - all good.

5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    #25 ZaForD, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    I was having a sorting out of cupboards and stuff last month, and found some old Tech kit.
    Including a T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream) which IIRC came with 'Donut' and is running 'Ice Cream'
    It still works but is very slow, I think 'Ice Cream' is too heavy for it.
    Any idea how it could be reset back to 'Donut' ???

A Hannspree HSG1164, which I believe came with a version of 'CyanogenMod'
    I didn't find its charger so didn't fire it up.

A Zune 30, which I've been using as an MP3 player for in doors (the battery only lasts around 3 hours)
    A (pink) Zune 8, the battery has expanded and popped the back off.
    A Zune HD, used as an outdoor MP3 player.
    A XDA Exec, part phone, part mini laptop.
    A Samsung Omnia7 (Windows Phone 7) works great but no store (not that there was ever anything in the store when it was working)
    2x Nokia Lumia 925, one running Windows Phone 8 (battery bad) and one Windows Phone 10 (which had a new update dated last year) :confused:

A Nexus 7 (2013) used everyday from new

A Nexus 5x, been running LineageOS without GAPP's from new.

@smallhagrid
    Could you post a link to that site with older APK's.
    I've found older APP's tend to work better without the Google Store/Services.

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @smallhagrid
    Thanks for the link, I've got a working version 'LastPass' again.
    Now I've to try a remember what other App's I was after o_O

7. Hunterrules0_0

Hunterrules0_0 MDL Member

Nov 27, 2021
    I beleive that there are some android apps that are able to be a tv remote. if so you can use your old phone as one in case you use lose the remote

8. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for replying.

Back when we used Kodi I checked into that out of sheer curiosity - and found that only devices with an included 'IR blaster' are able to be used as remotes, mostly (some remote apps use wifi...).

As I do not watch TV at all - that is the realm of my partner & her TV Box uses an RF remote.
    That works fine for her so no other remote is needed.

I did get a good version of VLC for the ancient 10" tablet - it is the smaller (and not quite so old) devices which I yearn to have uses for.

Thanks.

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    To get Kodi to work with most 'Remote Control' apps, you have to go into settings and allow Kodi to be controlled by other programs.
    Emby and Plex maybe the same, as they're all branches off XBMC. Which has worked this way since the OG Xbox and MCE.

10. KernalPanic

KernalPanic MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2016
    I turned one of my old device into pihole.

11. The_X

The_X MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2017
    I use my Galaxy Nexus as a kitchen clock and Spotify client. And the oled screen is still good after all these years lol.

And i use a Nexus tablet as a living room weather station / Home automation hub / radio (with a BT speaker).

12. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I have an old Fusion5 tablet with Android 5. I like it because it has built-in GPS, so I can use maps with it on the road. It also has 3g GSM and a built in FM radio. I wish I could update Android, tho.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. ibay770

ibay770 MDL Member

Oct 9, 2015
    For some sites with older apps.
    Malvidia.com
    Uptodown.com
    Apkmirror
    Telegram has alot as well

14. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I have an old S3 I leave on a car charger and hidden under the back seat backrest. It's not perfect but We have almost unlimited wi-fi everywhere here on Long island, no sim card. I use it to see where My nephews and nieces and wife go. Like "oh I just went to the supermarket for three hours with your credit card" but I know She was at Macy's.