Any guides to setting up a network drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RemixDeluxe, Aug 16, 2018.

1. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    I would like to set up a network drive so that the streaming boxes in my home can all pull from a folder to watch content from. I've followed guides on google and youtube, I'm not entirely certain I am doing it correctly and after I set the share permission I go into the drive list and copy+paste the share link thats given when its set up and it still says its not found. Does anyone have anything I can follow to have my own network drive? Please and thank you.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I think it would be much easier to help You, if You write us, what you did and what kind of problem arose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    I’ll try to explain what I do in best detail as possible. I go into the drive on my PC and find the folder I want to share on the network. I right click it and “give access to specific people”. I add everyone and give read/write permission. I click share and it tells me it’s shared and I copy the link to the shared folder. I go to This PC and click Map Network Drive. I change the drive to M because I want it M for movies. For the link I make it like it shows in the example I put "\\RemixDeluxe-PC\Movies" without quotations. I leave reconnect at sign-in checked and password credentials unchecked. I click finish and it tells me “Windows cannot access \\RemixDeluxe-PC\Movies. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.” I click diagnose to see what troubleshooting can detect and it tells me there is something wrong with the device (this is an internal HDD, not external or a USB) and something wrong with the firewall to prevent sharing. I checked my ports in advanced firewall settings and nothing appears to be blocked. I also went into network settings and made sure printer and file sharing is enabled and I made it so the PC is discoverable on the network.

I hope this was enough detail.

4. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    Is anyone able to give guidance based on what I've provided? I tried to not leave any details out.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...