Any idea how to paste a backup of Win 10 made on an SSD to a HDD?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by saadland, May 19, 2022.

1. saadland

saadland MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2015
    #1 saadland, May 19, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2022
    Any idea how to past a backup of Win 10 made on an SSD to a HDD please??
    I want to past an old backup of my SDD on a HDD to check some stuffs on Win 10, and dont want to reinstall everything, from zero, plus on my actual SSD since system is fine.
    I tried usual Retore of Backup with Acronis Bootable USB, then boot from the HDD where, I just pasted the Backup, plus I selected all the partition during restore, 4 ons. But it says no OS. Maybe thinking particular to do , for it to boot ??
    Thx

2. skyteddy

skyteddy MDL Senior Member

Dec 22, 2009
    #2 skyteddy, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    First of all: Here we talk about Acronis Activation. I'll answer your questions for once, but it's better to ask for further questions in a new thread in the public application forum: Click me

Ventoy and YUMI should work.

MBR or GPT?

The most common error is that the necessary boot files are not present in the MBR or GPT. Select not only the 4 partitions, but also the disk at the top. You can find useful tips in the manual or in the FAQ of Acronis.

I would do the restore to a virtual machine. Then a direct comparison with the active system is much easier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. saadland

saadland MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2015
    Hello, sorry I know that it is a threat for Acronis Activation, and thx for the reply. From now sorry to admins, for the wrong post.
    I looked on net, and mostly, HDD to SSD convertion is looked for, not opposite, that it is why I could not find much.
    Yes , as pointed, it is sure related to GTP and MBR about booting.
    Partiton of the SSD is GTP when the backup is made. And on HDD it should be MBR. What block me, is how to convert to MBR during restore of the backup for it to boot correctly then.

Not really know how to do that. The said Virtual Machine on my actually PC, and then Restore Acronis Backup to the same disc where is located the system?? a bit lost.
    Thx you very much.

4. skyteddy

Dec 22, 2009
    First of all: Many thanks to the mod/admin for moving the posts to a new thread!

Your problem is complete independent if you use a hdd or ssd or you move from hdd to ssd or vice versa. Your problem is changing the partition stile!

Why you don't erase the HDD including the initial before you restore your backup? If the HDD is clean, you can initial as GPT-style and then made the recovery.

if you don't have experience with the virtual machines is hard here to start from scratch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Macrium Reflect free has a clone disk option.

6. skyteddy

Dec 22, 2009
    Acronis too.

7. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    macrium reflect / aomei backupper or acronis / or clonezilla