Any workaround for changing Windows 7 Starter Edition wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rudi1, Aug 23, 2009.

1. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    #41 MadSheep!, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    Thanx a lot for update version MadSheep! I will try it when I come home from work!:)

3. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    #43 MasterDisaster, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wxman

wxman MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    Any similar trick to change the taskbar color?

5. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    Great little tool is now even better!!
    Tested and working without any problems!:D

7. rssv7

rssv7 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2009
    MasterDisaster help me, please!

I tried this in Win XP (my computer) to make sure it worked before doing it in Win7 starter (my dad's pc).
    It didn´t work on XP (So I don´t know if I did something wrong or if this can only be done in win 7) and the worst of it is that now I have no wallpaper and I can´t change it!!! Please help me!!!

By the way, when I run the app it gives an error saying "Could not find a part of the path "C:\Documents and Settings\Eu\Local Settings\Application Data\Temp\swc.txt"

HELP! (Sorry for this...)

8. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    This program is only for the Starter edition. I tested it on XP and the program fails in its initial step itself, so no changes are made to the system. You can change the wallpaper by going to Control Panel > Display - Desktop.

9. rssv7

rssv7 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2009
    That is my problem, I can´t change the wallpaper in Control Panel! My wallpaper still stays black after I do apply and restart.. I think it made some change in the system because when I go to execute--> regedit-->HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop Wallpaper = REG_SZ it says "C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\Penguins.jpg " and when I try to change it it says that it can not be edit because of some error...

Sorry for all the trouble... but do you know how to put it back?

Thanks!!

10. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    Here are the steps to undo it

1. Open Notepad and copy the following lines and save as set.txt
    2. Open cmd and go to the location you have saved the txt file. Run the following command.

11. wxman

wxman MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    The wallpaper changer program has no effect on my windows 7 starter. Running a gateway netbook, with win 7 starter. The program installs fine, I select a jpg image and hit apply, I get the log off message and log off then on; also tried a complete restart. There is no effect. The original wallpaper still loads. Any ideas? Thanks!

12. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    The program you are using is from a different author.

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

If it was me I would grab a premium or greater slp key and run the anytime upgrade, then turn off aero and other features I wouldn't want on a netbook, all the functionality and none of the limitations.

14. rssv7

rssv7 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2009

Thanks, it worked!!!

15. wxman

wxman MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    Not sure what you mean, I downloaded it from your post #46. Any ideas?

16. wxman

wxman MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly would one do this? Assuming it worked, would MS try and kill the upgrade during updates? Thanks!

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Nope, some would argue that you should use an slp key from the same manufacturer but I doubt it would even be an issue.

18. syjxpearl

syjxpearl MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    i don't know why but the background changer isnt working for me, it would ask me to log out and log back in but there are still no changes =[
    I just got an acer one netbook with windows 7 starter

19. 8mick823

8mick823 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    Oceanis Background Changer Software

Oceanis Background Changer Software.

Works perfectly with Win 7 Starter and it is FREE. No registry or other hacks that probably don’t work. Just install the program, open it from the desktop icon, browse to your wallpaper folders, select your wallpaper and off you go. You can also select multiple wallpapers and have them change automatically at time intervals. I just bought a Gateway mini from Best Buy and was I ticked to find out that MS had locked the desktop. I tried everything, changing the registry, renaming the wallpaper I wanted to the same name as the default wallpaper. Nothing worked right until I found this software. Believe me this is the way to go. Here is the link.

(sorry first time poster and won't let me upload link until I have 3 posts. I will ad link at 3rd post.)