Anyone Else Here Being Sued For Software Piracy?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Meat[On]A[Stick], Jan 9, 2015.

1. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    "Notice of appearance
    You are hereby notified that you are required to attend the Connecticut Appellate Court in January 28, 2015 as a defendant for the hearing of a pirated software case. Compulsory attendance. You may have the services of a lawyer, if necessary.

Failure to appear may result in the imposition of sanctions."

Received this in my email today. Notice how my name is not mentioned? Nor the software involved. There's a link in the email I haven't clicked on. I think I'll just wait for S.W.A.T. to bust through my door. And if the one-in-a-million chance that this is real, will the admins allow me to change my login name to Deadmeat[On]A[Stick]?

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #2 Mr.X, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    hahahaha, a good one :good3:
    I'm not a US citizen (don't live in USA) but I think this is a scam, they just want you to click over that link...
    Beware!!! Social engineering attack at its most evil expression lol
    Do not click it on the chicken...

3. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    DON'T CLICK ON THAT LINK!!

RANSOMWARE may be beware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Firstly, something like this would NEVER come by email. Its closest would be your ISP saying stop doing what you are doing and nothing more.
    Second, any type of court action would be sent via postal or served by an appointed sheriff or what have you, not email to you.
    Third, if you do not have to sign anything when postal mail comes then you never received it, throw it away or hide it somewhere for giggles.
    Fourth, try before you buy, and then try some more? :D

5. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Don't pick up the soap!

6. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    See you in 20 years. Put in a good word for MDL. "Not a warez site. For educational purposes only."

7. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    ive had 3 notices 1 about 3 years ago and 2 last year, the last 2 I got when I turned on my computer went to the internet up popped a notice of copyright infringement and it was from my isp warning me to cease and desist , the usual process is whoever you infringed upon would notify your isp then your isp would warn you to stop doing it, so yes it sounds like its a scam :thumbdown:

8. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Jan 1, 2015
    A friend just mailed me a .wav file of a call they just received. Caller claims to be a IRS agent needing to collect back taxes to avoid prosecution. I attempted to reply to my friend by forwarding the software piracy notice, but my email app. blocked it, claiming it was spam. And I also realize now it is from Germany (.de). I wonder if Paul Desmond is trying to bring in a little extra income. :)

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    The grammar alone show it's fake, not to mention you don't receive court summons via email, or without being arrested first

10. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Hands off PD! His Magnetic Jukebox can't run for free you know. (J/K)

11. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    How do they know your email?

From time to time people ask me things like that, "A bank that I don't have and account send me an email..., police send me an email..., government send me an email..., kidnapers of my dog send me an email..."

I wonder how do they know an email address that you never told to they.

Oh, I suppose you're American, then for your convenience, some 3 letter agencies may have taken the liberty to spy on you.

12. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Jan 1, 2015
    Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but my main email account (and that of my relatives and many friends) are as close to my real name as possible, such as williamh@rr.com. scoobydoo69@isp.com just wouldn't cut it for me. And there are programs that let one check for valid addresses. Like scanning the range of william00000 through william99999 @isp.net and returning only those that are valid. Again, it'd be a snap to find my address, hardly a need for a 3 letter agency to be involved.

Yeah, I'm always being phisted by someone claiming an issue with my Bank of America account. I can't delete them fast enough. Not only have I never had any type of account at Bank of America, I've never been in one of their branches.

And yes, I do have gmail and similar accounts for those sites that I don't feel comfortable giving my main address to.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As I use my own Mail Server, I could just any e-mail address as I like!

In Google Mail, you also have the option for to use an different Mail-Address as the one you signed up with! That feature I use for some quite old e-mail addresses which are obsolete for some time already and that still works well!

That said, fact is that you have numerous option for to hide your real e-mail address! Just do a bit research and you're done!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...