Anyone have experience Updating a SATA bios within a Motherboard Bios?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Jarun, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Jarun

Jarun MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    I have an A8N32 and there is a new bios for the on board Silicon Image SATA controller. ASUS will likely never update it so I was wondering if any of you might be able to. I can provide you with the system bios and bios of the controller chip if anyone is willing.

2. Jarun

Jarun MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    #3 Jarun, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    (OP)
    Actually, I need those updated too. They don't like my VelocaRaptor very much. I didn't know they could be updated as they don't appear as controllers in the Device Manager.

Edit: It seems cbrom only works for Award bios'. Mine is an AMI But I will look around on the forum of the people who made the program. Perhaps I will find something. I'm still open to anyone who would be willing to mod it for me, if you already have the programs and the experience.

3. Jarun

Jarun MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    #4 Jarun, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    (OP)
    Ok, I'm going to need some help with this. You can use MMTool to extract and replace any modules within an AMI bios, but there are four entrys titled "PCI Option Rom" that is spread over several locations, but all have the same ID. And there is another that is much smaller (and I would guess might be it) called SMBIOS and its only in one location as well as one called "Sinlge Link Arch Bios".

If I have to I will extract them all and compare them to the SiL bios I know is currently installed (also downloadable from the SiL website) till I find a binary match. But that won't work if any compression is being used. So anyone with experience help would be appreciated ;)

Edit: Got it. The RunLoc category in MMTool had the SiL chip listed. I just replaced that module with the new bios. Yay. Now to figure out which one is the Nforce4 Sata controllers and if I can update them...