Anyone have trouble with ac'97 Audio...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jopplehead, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Jopplehead

Jopplehead MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I have been struggling with crappy audio from my on board ac'97 audio. It's like it get's constantly clipped distorted audio when playing songs. There is a constant up/down wave affect playing any MP3's. I am fairly certain it is driver or codec related. My audio was fine in XP. Any Ideas guys??? PLEASE?

2. fabsta

fabsta MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    i had the same problem as you..... i spent a whole day working it out intill i realised we can use windows updates for that driver .. so give that a try it worked fine for me

3. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 Jopplehead, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks for the help... Unfortunately , I already installed that driver from windows update before I played with the sound really as a quick update as soon as I got system running. Basically I have no idea if the update is what caused my problem. It sounds like you are saying the first driver windows 7 installed gave you that problem too?? :confused:

4. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    OK, I just rolled back my current driver to the original one... NO CHANGE :( So I put back in the newer one. Still need some ideas :(

5. Mr_MKE

Mr_MKE MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    I've got the AC'97 on one of my systems and it works fine. It may not be the driver but rather than the MB implementation of the hardware. I'm running an Asus A8N32SLI-Deluxe. What MB and model are you using?

6. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Notam

Notam MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    I tried the drivers from their site Which They call as Beta for Win 7. But the sounds drop whenever it want

8. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    Running fine here.Same mobo and driver version 6.0.1.6243 .Later drivers do not detect Microphone correctly so im usin 6243

10. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    #10 Jopplehead, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks all of you! Appreciate very much the help.

@Mr_MKE : My Motherboard is an Asus A8v-MX. Quite old compared to whats on the market. Still if it works, I am not going to upgrade. According to the manual I have this audio on board: Realtek ALC653 6-channel CODEC S/PDIF out Interface. (*NOT USING S/PDIF)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Phazor,
    I will try those drivers and see what happens. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Bluescreen, Thanks for that idea also... Can you give me the details of the power save option and how to access it in Win 7. Not sure what setting you are refering to. Thanks :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Notam & Tomorrow, Thanks for that info too :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to try Realtek's homepage drivers first and let you guys know what happens there. At least I know I am not alone on audio issues. THANKS!

11. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    OK, apparently I was barking up the wrong tree with this. From what I have figured out from trial an error ... This is a codec problem or something related to Windows Media Player 12. I have Wavy crappy sound when I play soungs thru Windows Media player, However... I downloaded VLC and the songs - MP3's play perfect. It is really noticable in Media Player 12 when you equalize the songs. I can equalize songs perfect w/ VLC. Equalizing any sounds in Media Player 12 causes Wavy distortion. Is there some HIDDEN setting in Media player 12 that is compressing audio? I can not find any effects turned on except the EQ. I have wow off and srs. Any ideas now?? :confused: