Anyone install Windows 8 with SSD as main drive and HDD as second drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FattysGoneWild, Oct 19, 2012.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #21 pisthai, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    What's about the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Mainboard? Also NON-SATA 3 Ports?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why you guy's see everything just negative? There isn't any bad with that MB or AMD!

In fact, using the same Excel Worksheet for filtering with an size of 420MB:
    • Intel i7 965 Extreme Gigabyte MB Intel Chipset on Hitachi 500 GB SATA3 HD and Nvidia 640 1 GB Graphic card need: 37min filtering
    • AMD FX8150 Fatal1ty MB AMD Chipset on Hitachi 500 GB SATA3 HD and Nvidia 9800GT Graphic Card need: 29min filtering
    Both the same file and nearly the same apps on the Computer but 8 min difference!

I do NOT benchmark, I use to count only real work! All that bulls**t Benchmark programs never telling the real story.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And to ad: that i7 CPU is the 3. after the first 2 are burned while overheating. We do not overclock but the temperature is quite high, at the moment 35.1 Celsius and it's night time at 21:10 already!In the past we had a lot Intel CPU's burned, never an AMD and that's why we mainly use AMD!

4. wazer

wazer MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #24 wazer, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    This is because you have to partition all other disk than your main drive as logical partitions before your install a new windows from now on.

You can also do it from the windows installation menu, hit shift+f10 and enter diskpart(NOTE dont do this if you have important files on the drive, your drive will get cleaned when repartitioning them to logical drives)

Read up on google how to make harddrive partition logical with disk part.

If you succesfull make a drive logical you would see the green line around the disk, wich means there no longer can be installed windows system files on them, however if you sometime wanna install system files on the drive again you just repartition the drive.

This has been done for years, i remember i started out during this solution when i was kid 15 years ago.

btw all those foks in here doing so much offtopic get out of here will ya spammers?, mdl starting to get the kiddo feeling.

5. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    With out doing fancy work. Or having to unplug the drive. Can someone post a video how they done it with in the Windows 8 install? At this point. I really don't have much on my hdd and can easily transfer what I have to a usb stick. For all I care. During Windows 8 install. I can delete everything on both drives. I just don't know what to do or where to go from there. Mainly with Windows 8 not putting the boot file on my main drive which is the ssd.

6. supere989

supere989 MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2010
    I have read all the posts in here on this one, and a major issue has been overlooked. your sata controller has a numbered Hierarchy. Sata1 thru however many ports you have the on the controller, No Sata 0 does not count, 0 is the controller, Windows 7 Looks a the Connected Disk Hierarchy and loads the Boot code to the first disk in the chain. To permanantly solve this issue set your SSD sata cable to port 1 and you HDD to port 2, and you DVDRW to your last data port.:spoton:

7. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Wat? :doh:

8. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    #28 naseap, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    Yes I have a Vertex 4 256g with Win8 and multiple HDD as extra storage drives. Whenever I install an OS I always disconnect all the other drives. I do this to eliminate any boot issues and also to prevent from accidentally formatting the wrong drive.

9. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I have 2 SSD's and 1 HDD on my main system, and the SSD's are connected to the SATA3 Z77 chipset SATA ports. The HDD is connected to the Asmedia chipset SATA ports. This is on an ASUS Z77 ROG board (mATX). Before that, I had only 1 SSD, and the problem I'm about the describe occurred then as well as now (one or two SDD's).

When install the OS, I always use a USB HDD to install from. It's just a 320gb WD Passport I've been using this way for a long time. Over the last couple of years, I've had 5 different motherboards I've used this method on, without any problems. However, when I started using the ASUS Z77 board, I started encountering the following problem: I boot to the USB HDD drive, start setup, all is well. Setup copies the files, installs, etc. Then, it reboots. When it reboots, instead of starting to boot off the drive (SSD) I'm installing to, it starts up the boot sequence of the USB HDD again, and I end up on the Setup screen again, even though by now Windows setup should be booting off the destination drive. So yes, I have tried to change boot order of the drives, have tried adding the USB HDD to the drive selection as to disable from self-booting, have tried every option in the BIOS that is available, but whatever I try, I end up with the USB HDD booting over any other drive. So, needless to say, upon reboot, I have to enter BIOS, force-boot off the destination drive, and then Setup continues. It is very, very annoying and it is only this motherboard that does this. Now, after 8 months of owning this board, I still have this problem. ASUS has commented they donnot have this problem, but honestly I think they are not booting off a USB HDD drive but rather a flash drive. And I don't know if that makes a difference. Any ideas anyone?

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  11. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    #31 parapher, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    Hmm, my images have the autorun.inf's taken out most of the time, but I've also installed with autorun.inf and still the same. It is not a 'soft' problem or it would have been happening on other motherboards in the past (I've tried with same images I've used on previous boards). I think it has something to do with the way this board is set up. Just like when installing from USB HDD, for the autounattend.xml to work, I had to add it not only to the root of the ISO/install folder but also to the boot.wim. When you install from USB flash drive this is not needed, but if you install from USB HDD it is needed. So clearly the USB HDD is perceived as a different type drive (as in: HDD) and this may be why it is messing up the installation sequence when using USB HDD. But again, I did not have that problem on the other boards. The most I've experienced with previous boards was that the boot order got messed up, but once fixed it would not happen again. With this board, I try all different settings in the BIOS and it still boots back to the USB HDD drive. Since the USB HDD is perceived as an HDD, when removed, BIOS can't see it (of course). But as soon as you plug it in, it adds it to boot order somehow and seems to reset everything you've tried to change before. Maybe because the USB HDD drive/partition with the install files has to be marked as bootable drive it messes with boot order somehow.