Anyone leave Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GOD666, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Same here. It seems like the only reason some people call me is to fix their damn computers.

One by one, I've been telling them to go kick rocks.

@GOD666: Talk to John Sutherland. He knows Linux well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. I guess even a RapbP0 can do the job as well.
    I actually spoke symbolic about lusers. ;)

3. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I also have not had "luck" with Linux Mint I always have problems. What people usually talk about Linux is true you have to test for yourself several distros until you find the ideal one for you and your hardware.

I suggest testing Manjaro because it has the same user-friendly philosophy as Linux Mint and it seemed more stable and also more complete. Or even Ubuntu but in my experience from a long time ago Ubuntu with Unity works best with Intel CPU and nvidia GPU.

I already used it on my PC in that order Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Opensuse, Elementary OS and finally Fedora and tested Manjaro on VMware. At the moment I tested Ubuntu 16.04.1 on VMware and now installing the antergos in VMware. I am in doubt between Manjaro and Ubuntu to use as definitive system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @AeonX: I was going to say that nvidia gpus seem to be the main problem with linux.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    If you have a single NVIDIA GPU or regular SLI, Linux is much less hassle, but almost every distro (that isn't a respin of another) has a different process for installing the drivers. Ubuntu has the graphics PPA, Fedora has either RPM Fusion or negativo17 (the only major difference being is that RPM Fusion's packages support KMS; negativo17's packaging is nicer though), Solus provides their own package (probably the easiest distro), openSUSE Leap has an official NVIDIA repo, and openSUSE Tumbleweed is manual. Things become much more "fun" on any other distro that isn't Ubuntu when Optimus is involved, and not only varies depending on the distro, but also the desktop environment (mostly involving the xrandr auto-start script locations). But I guess the good news is is that once you understand how it works, it's easy to adapt to other distros/DEs :p

But basically, the easiest distros for handling Optimus afaik are Ubuntu (super-easy; install the graphics PPA, reboot, win), or Fedora (doesn't require as-much configuration as other distros, just a single xorg.conf snippet and some kernel option changes/additions). The easiest distros for handling single-GPU NVIDIA or SLI (in-theory) are Solus (use their GUI thing to install the driver, reboot, win) or Ubuntu (same as Optimus, install the graphics PPA, reboot, win).

I took the AMD GPU I had for granted with drivers on Linux; it was just ready-to-go on all distros with the option for me to tweak it a little further if I wanted. Maybe even adding a repo for more bleeding-edge components. I don't know what some people were talking about when they claimed the driver situation for NVIDIA on Linux was better... I don't think I had anywhere near as much trouble back when I was dealing with fglrx or even ndiswrapper :p

6. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    #167 AeonX, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    On my old PC I had an AMD HD5770 and it was where I started on linux using Ubuntu. With the opensource drivers I had no problems but the performance was not very good and with the proprietary drivers I had several crashes. I migrated to Linux Mint with KDE and same thing but the problems were a bit different.

Then I got a laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU and I felt better but I still did not find the performance satisfactory in Ubuntu so I used other distros with KDE like Linux Mint, Opensuse...

I currently use a PC with a Geforce GTX 750 but have only tested Fedora with Gnome and the nouveau drivers so far. I found the performance to be excellent :)

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Espionage724,AeonX,et.al. : Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I would like to see a similar thread to the thread that lobo11 created done in the Linux section of MDL.

Then, other Linux n00bs (like Me :) ) could benefit from this info.

:hug2:

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    MJ, why not start one, Just use all search tools, search here at MDL and everywhere else, copy from mine what you want, there may be people counting on you :tasty:

9. portupepe

portupepe MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2017
    Downgraded to WIN 7 as the computer reboots randomly after upgraded to win 10. this is so werid

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #171 lobo11, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Do you have a least this:
    Here's what Microsoft says you need to run Windows 10:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
    A Microsoft account and Internet access.

Did you have Win 7 under Win 10, kinda sounds like you may have had program with Win 7
    that did not play well with Win 10, I would try again without programs, install them in Win 10 environment, probably a driver that does not play well with Win 10.
    If you did not have Win 7 under Windows 10, I would check RAM, and make sure all programs you install are compatible with Win 10, if computer does it again, look in event viewer and get error code.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    I can bet that you return to Windows soon :D

12. Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is made up of little things.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Life biggest tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

Never again, ...

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Mac might seem like a nice change from Windows, but you'll soon realise how limited/locked down it is compared

Hope you're not a gamer :)

14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Jean-Frédéric: Wiser words have never been spoken.

Thank you :hug2:

15. Mac 4 work and PS4 to play.

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Fair enough :D

17. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    probably the stupid autoreboot on update - that pissed me off a lot too can't believe I forgot about it (I have loads of stuff going at once on my laptop - having it disappear b/c update... :mad:)

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #180 Espionage724, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Out of curiosity, what sort of things can Windows do that macOS can't? If anything, I'd expect macOS to be a bit more flexible with Unix at the core :p The only thing I'm aware of is gaming (depending on what you play anyway).

My only real exposure to macOS (well, OS X at the time) was back in the Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard days with a hackintosh set-up (the Acer laptop I had at the time had mostly compatible hardware for it).