Anyone sticking with 8/8.1 and not upgrading to 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by XxBrazilianoxX, Jul 25, 2015.

1. TheOldScout

TheOldScout MDL Junior Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I'm keeping 8.1 WMC on my home theater setup as it works best with my tv tuner. There is nothing better.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @TheOldScout: I'm staying with Windows 7. It works for my studio. :)

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MikeMSDN

MikeMSDN MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Not having 100% compatible audio drivers yet.

4. esdtowimseeker

esdtowimseeker MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    I was going to upgrade to 10 from 64-bit 8.1 PRO on an ancient machine - Microsoft said, during the initial stages of preparing for the upgrade path, that this machine was compatible and all was well.

That was mistaken (and misleading).

During the global upgrade flurry I kept getting the "You are in the queue" dialog and simply accepted that at face value, given what Microsoft had previously said. But I got impatient so went AROUND the standard upgrade path by twiddling a registry key to say "Download now approved". That twiddle worked fine and I was well on my way to a Windows 10 installation - got all the way through it, rebooted, logged in - the whole nine yards.

And the install was broken - could not click left on lower left "start" icon, could not use the Bing search field on the bottom, Edge started up and was totally nonresponsive (even to the point that it could not be closed), and the screen resolution was not changable from its rather poor resolution to my monitor's 1600x1200 native resolution AND there was no entry for my monitor either.

I restored the machine by doing an image copy of a backup hard drive from a couple days earlier (back to 8.1!), then finally noticed the little three-bar symbol in the systray's GWX icon's dialog - clicking on THAT said my ancient NVidia graphics card disallowed a Windows 10 upgrade...and it is very unlikely NVidia is going to do anything to make that card compatible (or, if it actually IS compatible, won't tell Microsoft that!).

So I gave up on Windows 10 - there is no way I'm spending another $200-ish on this ancient machine just to get a card that is overtly compatible. I'm sticking with well-working (usually...see another post by me elsewhere) 8.1 for this machine until Microsoft et al no longer support 8.1.

[an automated install of 10 on a laptop running 8.1 Home went smoothly, with only Intel's Widi software either not present or not working yet (so cannot project the screen to a Widi device attached to an HDMI TV)...haven't checked to see if Intel has done something about that yet - we use that projection a LOT to watch TV programs via the Web]

5. shakennstirred

shakennstirred MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    im sticking with 8.1 but only because windows update has failed about 40 times to install win 10.
    I also tried the download iso of win 10 and that also fails about 10 times, with a different error code each time
    so I have given up

6. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    I honestly think that Windows 10 is just too new to commit to. Too many incompatibility issues.
    Give it a year or so. By then, many of the problems should be ironed out.

:MJ.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I "had" two system restores for windows 7 saved to an internal scratch disk ,after the upgrade to 10..they are no longer recognized by windows backup, the system repair disk, or Murphy's dart USB. A big WTF moment for me.. Fresh installed 7 , and to quote a member (I forgot who)..."Windows 7 will be my last OS from microsoft" ....

8. Agret

Agret MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #28 Agret, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Internet Explorer 11 is still shipped with Windows 10, just search it in the start menu :)

There is nothing stopping you from installing Firefox/Chrome either.

:epiclol: :epiclol: :epiclol: lol there's always that guy

Not sure why you wrote a signature into your message as this forum supports signatures but anyway, I haven't seen any incompatibility with software from my experience upgrading some customer PCs and my own home PC, what programs didn't work properly for you? One customer's family tree software from 2001 is still running no problems (upgrade from Win7 to Win10) as are ancient versions of MYOB. I use a bunch of obscure programs on my PC daily and none of them are any different to 8.1.

9. thorbsd

thorbsd MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2013
    I don't mind being that guy :linuxlove:
    lol

10. JLynz

JLynz MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2015
    #30 JLynz, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    What flavor of linux? I've been edging to try OpenSUSE but so far only on VM.

11. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    windows 8.1 pro wmc for desktop, 10 for laptop.

I can mess around and play with 10 on the laptop and reinstall if i need but dekstop needs to be the powerhouse and stay stable.

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012

@Agret: What does my sig,or its' content have to do with you or this post?

Try staying on point with regards to thread topics, And keep your opinions about my sig to yourself.

:MJ

13. thorbsd

thorbsd MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2013
    I'm using openSUSE right now (it's my preferred distro). I'll likely move over to Arch in a while though as I'm pretty comfortable with it already and really like that I can build the system from the base up, to be exactly what I want it to be.

14. Delta128

Delta128 MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2012
    With more than half a dozen PC's & laptop/notebook for personal use at home & home-office (and, on the go/travel) plus 3 more downstairs - suffice to say, not all of them will be running W10 Home/Pro/Ent, for variety of reasons.

The senior will stay on Linux. MidTower with 4 HDD bays, loaded & SSD in the FDD slots triple boot to Linux/Vista/W7Ulimate will stay put (yeah, still use that DVD R/W sometimes) Another DT staying with Vista :eek: as dedicated server for hard-wired security cams (but, I'll put a W10 install on a spare HDD & set it aside) - getting my money's worth if/when "mission accomplished by 2017 (EOL support) - on continuous duty since 2008/9 or so.

Rest will split up - 2 laptop/NB already upgraded but 1 will stay on W7, 1 will stay on W8.1 - these are used in the field. Well, you get the idea - not putting all the eggs in 1, not even 2 baskets. Still got plenty of time to "grab" some free licenses with extra HDD sitting around on the lower shelves - as long as the MB don't fail later on.

Gotta be mindful of what's happening with those "Express Settings" and then some ...

15. JLynz

JLynz MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2015
    Same here. Got a few systems here myself. Only upgraded my Sony Duo 13 laptop/tablet to Win10 just because I was curious about the improvements to the tablet mode. So far, I actually miss the Charm feature; I've gotten used to turning off the system and settings that way. I've noticed improvements but as others mention, the bad is there as well. For example, Edge keeps crashing on me from time to time and certain settings seem to be hidden or should I say, found a different way. Don't like "Settings"... prefer "Control Panel".

My main system (my desktop), I've installed Win10 on an extra SSD drive for testing. Install wasn't perfect but once it was working after some tinkering. I kinda liked it... but, I'm going to wait for Win10 to mature more and my main apps to be compatible. For some reason, explorer is slow to open at times or it seems to freeze for a few seconds before continuing. Must be driver issues, I'm guessing because at times, it works fine. So, I've swapped my old SSD drive back in and gone back to Win7. The other system that I've installed Win10 onto was my other Sony Vaio Z (2012) which didn't go well. So it would seem that my main systems are on Win7 for now. The remaining systems, I won't even bother. They work fine as is.

16. perbe

perbe MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2007
    Edge: 20+220 MB RAM for me with just 1 webpage open.

17. XxBrazilianoxX

XxBrazilianoxX MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Now even Windows 8/7 are getting the windows 10 update to upgrade. Should go back to XP I think. Disappointed.

18. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I'm doing/have done both. Main OS is 8.1 but still have an insider install on another drive. I don't think I want to run a malware operating system as my main OS.

19. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Going back to 8.11.