Anyone sticking with 8/8.1 and not upgrading to 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by XxBrazilianoxX, Jul 25, 2015.

1. done1

done1 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2015
    you can.
    just disable it from services

2. The0ne

The0ne MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2012
    Not possible with me. Windows 8.1/10 messes with my wireless mouse and keyboard. Cannot find a workaround. I literally have to place the receiver by the mouse and keyboard to reduce, not eliminate, the lag. Done all I could to troubleshoot and no dice. Also read many people on MS help forums having same issues, especially with the update in 8.1 that's causing it for most people.

Note that everything goes away once I switch back to Windows 8 and 7. The receiver can be freaking 15 feet away and it'll still be good. There is something funky going on with the drivers it has installed for me. Yes I used logitech drivers as well (Setpoint, Option does not work I believe). So now I'm back to Windows 8 and not dying in games :)

3. kasztan

kasztan MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2015
    I just got back from 10 to 8.1. There was a problem with WiFi card (i had to reset the interface every reboot). 10 crashes every reconnect to my Bose bluetooth speaker. I really like W10 but will wait a few months before I'll try it again.

4. Juzu

Juzu MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2013
    Going back to 8.1 too, got too annoyed with all builtin spying with Windows 10.
    Seriously, I think there's a blowback building up for Microsoft with privacy issues, it's like they are poking users with a stick to see how much they can get away with.
    And it's not just the privacy things that are annoying, it rather seems they pushed Win10 out too early, with bugs like menus not working with VPN connection settings.
    Also, the whole new "Settings" menu feels like a half-baked afterthought, it has many functions that overlap with the classic control panel functions, especially with network settings.

Maybe this is Microsoft's developement method, doing the final beta testing with early adopters. That happened to some extent with Win8 too. Wait a year or so, for Windows 10.1 with revised privacy policy and bugfixes.

5. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    if going back.. i go back win 7 ... lol
    win10 awesome for me..

6. mk.2

mk.2 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    After trying Win10 for a few weeks, I'm going back to 8.1.
    At first, Win10 looks impressive; everything seem to work right out of the box.
    Then, I find more and more little things that annoy me, like:
    • Invisible windows borders; windows borders are not actually 1 pixel wide, they are actually 1 visible pixel + 7 invisible pixels. I sometime accidentally resize windows when I actually want to click/drag something on desktop. :annoyed:
    • Noticeably lower quality JPEG as wallpaper.
    • Cannot change digital clock to analogue clock. I didn't realise how much I get used to analogue clock until it's gone.
    • New Win10 Japanese font looks really awful (thinner strokes and worse kerning), comparing to the one used in Win 7 and 8.
    • Applocale does not work in Win10. This is the deal breaker, really. Many applications I use daily still do not support unicode filename. And developers are like, if you want unicode support, just use other apps that support unicode. :weep:
    • Many applications do not remember their positions, including Windows Explorer.
    • Some applications have lost ability to drag and drop (ex: I could not drag and drop picture files from Windows Explorer into Photoshop).
    • Win10 calculator application does not work well with calculator button on my keyboard (Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000). Most of the time I have to press the button twice to open Win10 calculator app. And position of calculator app will change every time I open them.
    • Win10 Photos app is terrible; it can't even show picture files at their actual resolutions. And open slower than the old Windows Photo Viewer.
    • Wireless Media Transfer does not work properly between Xperia Z3 and Windows 10 (It keeps disconnecting/reconnecting every 30 seconds or so). On Windows 8.1, the connection will stay connected until I disconnect it myself.
    • Can no longer change Power Plan from taskbar icon
    I couldn't find a single new/improved feature that is crucial enough to stick with Windows 10.
    For me, I feel like upgrading to Windows 10 is similar to upgrading to Windows Vista in the way that it creates more problems than it solves.

Right now, Windows 8.1 is good enough; it works with every software that I need.

I think the only thing that I would miss by reverting back to Windows 8.1 is Microsoft PDF Printer. IMO, it works better/faster than other 3rd party PDF printers. It would be great if there is a way to add Microsoft PDF Printer from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Pretty much my thoughts too, don't notice any difference between 8.1 and 10 other than 10 annoys the sh1t out of me for many things that 8.1 doesn't

The pixel border thing is a PITA too, easily seen when using NVIDIA surround, and then maximising a window

I upgraded because of DX12, but as there are no DX12 games out yet, I'm seriously considering going back to 8.1, the only thing stopping me is how much of a PITA it is to set everything back up again after a fresh install

8. cpatrick08

cpatrick08 MDL Member

Feb 26, 2015
    If you go to settings, update & security, recovery you can go back to an earlier version of windows for one month after you upgrade to Windows 10.

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012

Only if you upgraded, and only if you didn't delete windows.old

10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Setup a 2nd partition on my machine using one of my 10 or so licenses of Windows 7 I have acquired over the years (I work in IT) for the upgrade, then I did a "reset this PC" to nuke it back to original, according to Microsoft, just like formatting and reinstalling. I am sticking with Windows 7 accept on my HTPC, that is dual booting with 7 and 8.1 till I decide I am going to go over to 8.1 or not.

So far, it's a buggy mess, Crashes are still common here and there (it was really bad on release day, I could crash it on demand), I have counted 7 programs that no longer work under Windows 10, they worked fine on 7 and 8.1 x64 but, they do not even open on 10.

The updates are a PAIN IN the A$$. Microsoft rushed Windows 10 out the door, on this new concept that devs are doing these days "Yea, it's got bugs, let's release it and we'll just fix it with updates". We see this a lot with games. Updates can be taken care of as there is a setting to notify about updates and NOT download unless you approve, so this rebooting on my PC and losing data at 3am does not happen any more.

As I work in IT, I get a lot of people who ask me, SHOULD I UPGRADE ? I tell most people to wait. Give it 6-10 months, they will release about 60 or so updates and after that it should be as stable as it's going to be.

I still use Windows Media Center every day, so no Windows 10 for my primary OS... good job MS...

11. heuheu

heuheu MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2015
    I tried the LTSB N version of windows 10 in a virtual box and ran a debloat script to remove all the unnecessary features, but I haven't seen anything that makes it worth installing on my actual machine.

I made a fresh install on my work laptop of windows 8.1 Enterprise edition with updates up to december 2014.
    Is updating the system recommended nowadays with all the telemetry updates and data mining updates that are even being pushed to pre windows 10 OSes and can we install individual security update packages offline (without using the windows update center to download and install them).

12. moon510

moon510 MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    I won't upgrade to windows 10 because my printer won't work on it, and that's it.

13. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Have you tried it already? If yes, your printer manufacturer did not make driver for Windows 10 yet?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I upgraded to 10 for 2 weeks then downgraded again because it's not finished IMO.

15. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I have 8.1 as my main OS, 10 on another hard drive is my experimental install. Both activated.

16. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Staying on Win 8.1 for now.. lots of Win 10 stuff to be sorted out and understood over the year.

17. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Sticking with Windows 8.1 / Server 2012 R2. There is too many concerning things happening with Windows 10. Plus its fun to watch as the Windows 10 forum implodes from so many posts lol

18. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I had W10 on two of three Dell Precision laptops, running well, but all the FUD regarding telemetry, spying, etc. has caused me to step back. Ten months remain (free upgrade) to see how it all plays out. Another reason - no compelling features / killer apps. that screamed "You have to have this now!"

19. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Ditto, idem, ibidem lol

20. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I was very tempted to go back to 8.1 after running 10 Pro for a while, but since installing LTSB, I`m thinking I`ll just stick with 10 now

Data collection is at the back of my mind now, disabled what I can from gpedit etc, not going to worry about it any more, it was just consuming my world for a few weeks, driving me insane