Anyone Use "Deep Freeze" by Faronics?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by iamanoob, Apr 15, 2010.

1. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It works really good if you want to have or already have a lan center or something like that. It does work really well. The only down side is that your computer does not save anything once you freeze it so make sure that your computer is good to go before you do that or you will loose a lot of stuff. I would only recommend this type of software to people how have public centers like libraries and things like that. It is really not necessary for home users. I hope this kinda clears things up a bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks alot Sam ..
    However .. i vaguely remember why i stopped using it ..
    i think it was due to Deep Freeze causing glitches/errors on my PC ..

So i just wanted to know if it was just me..

I just did a Clean Install 2 nights ago .. and set up Dual Boot with Windows 7 x32 and Windows 7 x64 ..
    and was considering using Deep Freeze but i think i will skip it ..
    as i did some research last night ..
    and other people were also stating it causes errors ..
    it's a shame.. because it's a really cool concept ..

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I personally did not have any issues at all when I used it. Maybe you could try or research a program called Drive Vaccine. It is another program that is similar to DeepFreeze.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  6. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    The Enterprise version of Deep Freeze is the best to choose,I have a most recent one with serial,if you need i will give you a link but only by PM.

7. The_Spider

The_Spider MDL Member

Aug 23, 2009
    #8 The_Spider, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    DeepFreeze is one hell of a product for public computers, offices, etc. They have made a lot of advances with "Thawed Space" and the "freezing" of selectable drives. With symbolic linking you can effectively lock a PC and still give the user the ability to save files/documents and even account preferences. As an earlier suggestion stated I would highly recommend the Enterprise version as its ability to mass update/remote control/customization abilities are very beneficial and not included in the standalone version.

There are a few things to you need to be aware of:
    1.) Deep Freeze fails to work if the swap/hive file is not present on the C: drive.
    2.) Vista requires version 6.30 and greater (the single installer supports both 32 & 64 bit).
    3.) Windows 7 requires version 6.60 or greater (the single installer supports both 32 & 64 bit).
    4.) Deep Freeze does not prevent a user from gaining administrative access or prevent the installation/modification of software, it only resets the computer to a state of the administrators choosing upon each re-boot effectively nullifying any changes made by the user, but you already knew that.
    5.) I would recommend disabling some services (Virus Scanners dependent on heuristics, MS Defender service, and the Search Indexing Service. They are not really necessary on a computer that is in a frozen state.)

I hope this helps your choice, they have made significant advances and I have been amazed at how well it operates.

[edit]
    A few users have complained that the use of Deep Freeze can possibly reduce the speed/performance of a machine, but I have never seen any noticeable affects on anything except very old machines.

8. syga

syga MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    I have deepfreeze on my work xp computer where everybody uses it. Never had a problem in over 2 years.

At home on Win 7, where I save a lot of things, I just use Sandboxie. It works well...

9. anga

anga MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    StorageCraft's ShadowUser allows changes to persist across reboots. However it does not work with Windows 7. Can one do this with Deep Freeze?

10. anga

anga MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    I PMed you 2 weeks ago--no response so far.