Anyone using Windows 10 as Main OS?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MrRTM, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Murphy78 I believe you need to look up the meaning of a keylogger.

It doesn't matter what text is entered. The simple fact that the text is checked in the first place and stored represents a keylogger. The result is the only thing that is being discussed as we have established that the keys are being recorded. That being said I find that statement very ambiguously worded for the purpose of the EULA. This is very shakey ground as the purpose of a Technical Preview is to improve functionality and spell checking has been in Windows for a very long time.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    all those checkmarks that suggest sending info to MS during install, if unchecked are supposed to stop the info but I dont think that stops it. Anyway, The "key logger" is sending info from bing searches, windows searches etc. Any programs that crash info is sent etc etc. Reboots, failures, faults, uptime etc etc. Not my idea of a key logger. Or everything in this message could be considered logged and sent to MS.

I just need proof that its logging every key stroke and then 3500 FU_FU_FU a second can be sent from each machine until 4-15-14

3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #83 coleoptere2007, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Launch Wireshark from W10TP you'll see all the infos M$ is picking up from ur machine :p

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well this would just be a semantics argument. They are not recording keypresses, but rather whatever values you input into search boxes and url bars.
    A keylogger logs every key you press, this doesn't.

5. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    nexus looked at some of the packets and figured it looked encrypted (no unencrypted text), so even if it was actually keylogging every single key pressed, you'd never know.

6. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Used the Tech Preview for a day to get a feel of the OS, then downloaded and installed the Enterprise version which I am now using as my Primary OS.

Very stable with no app issues. This will probably be my OS until the final comes out sometime next year.

T

7. xano

xano MDL Member

Jan 28, 2011
    What's the advantage of running the Enterprise version, from a normal user standpoint.

8. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Nothing you'd ever use if you're not in a corporate environment, except maybe Windows to Go, which is handy for bringing a usb hard disk over to a friend's house or something.

9. Rawand Kurdy

Rawand Kurdy MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2011
    Running its since day one [ i always upgrade to the newest official software updates if its beta or alpha or rtm] and the only problem i have is that iTunes is not working

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    #90 M0rriss0n, Oct 4, 2014
    Sad to say that I had to put my Windows 8 SL back.
    Luckily I use Macrium Reflect to make a back-up image, now I am back to October 1st before 7 pm.
    There were a couple of bugs that prevented me to use it further as my main OS.
    The thing that made me cross the border was a bug in network connections.
    Let me try to explain, I am a old school Dreambox user that owns a Dreambox7000, there is a Gemini image on it which is Linux based.
    I cannot configure a share in a way that Dreambox can connect to it, believe me I tried hours.
    So as of main OS I am back to 8, 10 will be installed on a different HDD so I can play with it further more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    RC i may use as main OS but preview, no way man:D

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Absolutely useless to use any of TP, DP or CP as main os since all are time bombed and render os useless sooner or later. Only RTM is the way to go even if there are minor issues upon activation process if no genuine key on hand

13. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    But it doesn't really matter if you plan to move to the legit RTM later on.

I upgraded to TP as my Main-OS and had only minor issues so far.

:)

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #94 PaulDesmond, Oct 4, 2014
    I have no idea how MS will go on by deploying updates for TP. Maybe they simply continue the way up over a CP and finally to RTM by just keeping the installed TP as basic installation. If this were the case, everyone could run new TP by just continue to final version. But I doubt they will do it this way

15. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    I was hoping they would deploy it that way after it got hinted that they would change the way how they deploy further updates / upgrades.

16. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #96 PaulDesmond, Oct 4, 2014
    if it were the case it might be a perfect move but I cannot see how to make biz out of it. Perhaps final move to RTM will hold Credit card information fields to be filled with some data :D

... or at least with genuine key or KMS solution for enterprises

17. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    It depends on how radical a departure the finished product is from the preview. I don't see how MS can add or remove major features from TP to CP, without there being a new .iso.

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    somewhere they claimed that new os is build as kind of a modular system which means that certain modules can be replaced by newer versions or can be removed entirely without interfering with the os as total. This kind of development would make sense to me since then all options are on the table

19. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    Maybe they could deploy it the "add Feature"-way, where you have to enter a legit key, which you could maybe buy online, just like 8.1 + WMC.

That would be still ok, as long you are able to start the future RTM-Setup from within the TP, without being forced to un-install / remove the TP first.

20. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    We are all accustomed to doing a fresh install every time a Service Pack has been released. Or, every time a new version has been released, doing a fresh install as well. I just backup what is important to be, and go from there.