Anyone using Windows 10 as Main OS?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MrRTM, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Fast-007

Fast-007 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    the beta builds that come from microsoft are made to use in an main system so they can see what errors and problems people can have after they install the software in a computer .. that's why the beta builds come in ISO and not VHD .. using a computer in virtual environment is not the same .....

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011

I agree. It helps to have all the files that are needed for a clean install organized and ready. This includes all of the hardware driver updates. I have a checklist that I use for a clean install so that I don't forget any of the adjustments and tweaks that I use. I made the checklist one time as I did a clean install. I just wrote down each step as I did them. The next time I did a clean install I used the checklist and I made some changes and additions. It is always a work in progress but it does help speed up the clean install process.

3. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I think ill be moving to it as i used all the leaked builds of windows 7 and even know they where buggy it was still a better running OS than windows Vista, Also i think of windows 10 more of a update to 8 so there will only be bugs in what they have changed from 8.1 to 10 which is mostly going to be UI elements.

4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    here, all good, works just fine
    i don't give a damn about privacy I don't have anything to hide

cheers

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    My favorite opportunist attitude, as unfortunately the majority is thinking that way it allows governments to restrict personal liberties :doh:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I was an official MS Tester from many years. I helped test Win95 through Win7. I was part of beta testing team and posted on the MS boards.

Since those days, I've had my system setup so that I could blow it away on a few minutes notice and install a new OS as soon as I downloaded it. I keep everything that doesn't need to be directly installed -- most games, some apps, all save games/docs, etc -- on a different hard drive and I keep an updated and activated image that I can install with my current choice of restore software (currently Acronis). I can go from my current OS to the desktop of my saved OS (Win7 currently) in less than 30min (including latest drivers which are NOT on my image -- I only save the OS install, activated, with all the updates).

I have no problems running Beta or TP versions of Windows -- honestly most of them run fairly well and in a few cases (some of the early Vista builds) ran better than the Finals.

T

7. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    im giving it a try as main OS, i cant really test to see what works and what dont under a virtual system anyway.

So far everything i have installed apart from ATI drivers works so far and not a single crash yet.

8. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    so, you dont care they can access to all your data without asking. Right.

enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto-complete and spell check features

cheers

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    actually the statement you quoted, gives them the right to access without asking since you have already agreed previously.

10. Raymai97

Raymai97 MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2013
    Been using it for developing stuff in Visual Basic 2010 Express... So far so good...

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    do not feed gov trolls and you stay fine ... is my way to go :D

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    For now switched back to Win 8.1 as the Preview with default UI, no AeroGlass and a crappy Start Menu was looking too fugly :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. blakobecwa

blakobecwa MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    Has anyone else made a "Windows to Go" version of Windows 10 Tech Preview? I have :biggrin:

Its a good way to have a portable DEV OS and not having it interfere with your daily driver OS, I have it on a spare external HDD running on USB 3.0. Moving it around to any computer is the best part!

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    switched from lego start menu back to start screen and all is fine again on my 10er. Guess I'll never go back to ancient W7 times. If the real old 7 start menu were there, I'd thought about using it on several machines but that ugly and useless so-called start menu hurts my eyes. Please no comments since I know that I'm quite alone with my point of view. Thanks

15. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Start Screen is an absolutely no-go here. Shows all installed stuff in pain view (including all the non nessessary stuff like the uninstallers for all my programs :doh:. Like StartIsBack+ with XP-like fly-out style for all programs view.

Seems you go with the default themes for Windows ... i can't stand them as i prefer my themes being color-inverted. Next would be the ugly Start button which i pimp using StartIsBack+ with my own orb. Since XP times i always used non-signed themes as the MS one are simply fugly.

16. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... these uninstallers all can be put away which I did and I have a very simply, organized screen with all i want. All I don't want gets deleted though
    for the luck of us all, MS listened and provided both lego start screen and lego start menu ...hihi
    bet there will be lots of complaints until RTM especially to get the start screen back hahaha

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    guess that sh!t will have a no-cost come back quite soon and will be included again like was on 7. (no bet atm but curious upon)