Anytime upgrade with SLP key

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dolorous Edd, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I installed W7 premium on a system with slic2.1 bios mod (HP key for premium, and HP cert on DVD using the DISM tool/GUI) started computer and verified activation status and then entered an SLP OEM key for Ultimate into the anytime upgrade and it verified the key and upgraded the install. Unless safeguards for this are included in OEM DVD's from the manufacturers anyone who buys a computer with a premium can upgrade using a leaked ultimate key.

Sorry if this is old news but I would have thought that MS would have prevented anytime upgrades from SLP keys.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Why should you think that "happy days" be prevented by msft? Shooting own's foot? Let the happy times continue unabated....Lol.

3. JohnnyRebel

JohnnyRebel MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    yuppers the upgrade does in fact work with the slp keys... thought id test it out myself... now if only i could figure out how to unlock enterprise on my dell oem dvd id be set... i just cant seem to do it... i see the folder for it on the iso but still a no go

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    enterprise doesn't come on oem dvd's, use ultimate - same feature set.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JohnnyRebel

Aug 25, 2009
    i know the features are the same... so why does the enterprise folder show up then?? thats what has got me baffled

really its not a huge deal to me im just a curious person by nature

6. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    It doesn't matter it is an old news or not, it may be helpful to new comers. Good job, thanks!!!:D

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    the upgrade dvd had nothing to do with it it's because you had slic 2.1 in bios

8. JohnnyRebel

Aug 25, 2009
    im using a loader and i still did the any time upgrade no problem

9. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    No upgrade DVD was used. The point is that this is a problem for MS if anyone with an SLP:OEM machine can perform an anytime upgrade using leaked slp keys. That is the point I was trying to make.

10. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    #10 frwil, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Well, MS didn't consider it a problem in Vista times when "anyone with an SLP:OEM machine" could perform a usual upgrade or fresh install of a higher version, using leaked slp keys, so why it will be a problem now? Illegal will still remain illegal - i mean usage of an slp key for installation procedure by anyone other than a certain OEM (or via brand recovery media, supplied with a brand machine - on this machine).