App Store (RANT) requires Windows Firewall Service Running to ....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mtrai, Oct 16, 2012.

1. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    #1 mtrai, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    So I could not figure out why I could not install or update my App Store apps for the last few days, figured it out this morning.

The Situation in brief: In Aug I bought a new Asus Windows 8 ready motherboard. I had to RMA the motherboard to Asus a few days ago and using a back up PC where I had to reinstall Windows 8s on. (Shudders at this PC I am using, gaming withdrawal, but that is another issue.)

Microsoft I get the computer has to be trusted.

I can sort of even get a min resolution required. (For certain apps to run correctly.)

WHAT I DO NOT GET IS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE THE WINDOWS FIREWALL SERVICE RUNNING IN ORDER TO INSTALL OR UPDATE APPS.

However after updating or installing you are free to shutdown the Windows Firewall Service again and your apps will work just fine.

This just irks me having to go through these steps for the app store. I disabled services I do not need or will never use, but hey that is just my choice and I realize I may just have to deal with this irk.

However I hope these steps might help some people having trouble with updating or installing Windows Apps.