Application Compatibility Toolkit - Screencapture program?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pengoau, Feb 2, 2012.

1. pengoau

pengoau MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    G'day

Over a year ago we had a crash course on the Microsoft Compatibility Toolkit (for Windows 7).
    During this training the instructor touched on an application that would capture your desktop activity (keypresses, screen activity etc) and output it to a (xml?) file. This file could be opened in IE from what I remember and was quite good in detailing what happened in a step-by-step sort of instructional manner including screenshots.

I've installed the toolkit but for the life of me can't remember the name of the program or how to accomplish this.Can anyone help out and advise me what the program/how to do this with the toolkit ? I know I could just use a seeperate screen capture program and make a video file, but I prefer this method as its helpful for tech support and documentation.Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Kind Regards,

P

2. locob

locob MDL Member

Jun 2, 2010
    #2 locob, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Could this be what you are looking for? (It is a part of Windows 7 - not the toolkit.)

Code:
    How do I use Problem Steps Recorder?

You can use Problem Steps Recorder to automatically capture the steps you take on a computer, including a text description of where you clicked and a picture of the screen during each click (called a screen shot). Once you capture these steps, you can save them to a file that can be used by a support professional or someone else helping you with a computer problem.

Notes
    When you record steps on your computer, anything you type will not be recorded. If what you type is an important part of recreating the problem you're trying to solve, use the comment feature described below to highlight where the problem is occurring.

Some programs, like a full-screen game, might not be captured accurately or might not provide useful details to a support professional.

3. pengoau

pengoau MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks dude thats it!

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009