Application jumplist not showing Chinese and Japanese text

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mcnamara, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mcnamara

mcnamara MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    One of the applications I use shows Chinese and Japanese text in jumplist as squares. This is happening only on one computer. I tested it on some several other (32 and 64 bit) computers and it is showing everything correctly. The computer that it is not working correctly is running 32bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate. All computers are running English version of windows 7.

What can be the reason of the strange behavior? How can I fix it?

2. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Looks like you're missing the necessary East Asian fonts. That component should be installed by default (it was not a default component in XP), so unless you customized your install in some way or if they somehow got uninstalled, this should not be happening... do a comparison of the fonts folder between your different Windows 7 machines to confirm whether this diagnosis is correct. If it is, just copy the missing fonts from one of the good machines.

3. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    it has nothing to do with the lack of fonts... 7 installs all of them anyway... the issue is the default code page... applications that require PC98/Shift-JIS or GB2312 encoding (aka non-unicode) cannot work while your default code page is set to anything but Japanese or Chinese

to fix this:
    go into control panel
    open region and language
    click on the administrative tab
    click on "change system locale" and select Japanese or Chinese
    reboot

and it should work