April 8. 2014: Windows XP out of service! And than, move to Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
  2. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Come on! Don't live in the past! Windows Xp october 25, 2001,:eek: release date. Almost 13 years! Move on.

Go to windows 8.1, love it. And remember there is no perfect system.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Yes, some people have no good excuse for not upgrading. But some folks earn only $250/yr. Some folks count themselves as damn lucky to have a 333MHz Pentium, 256MB ram and 10GB hard drive. Not everyone has it as good as you and I.

4. arseny92

arseny92 MDL Secret Weapon

Sep 22, 2009
    I had a 166MHz Pentium MMX, 32MB RAM (8 x4), a 300MB HDD, a very basic graphics card, and some 8" floppies ;)

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #25 PaulDesmond, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    lol .. your machine topped the one I had at that time around: model 486 with a 33 MHz processor boosted up from 8 to 33 with a switch at the cabinet of the box and 8MB Ram. It was fully loaded with a 500MB drive (max available att), a 3,5 floppy and a 5,25 floppy. Loaded DOS using 5,25 drive and then used the 3,5 installing 3 disks W3.1
    Whole setup came with a Sony monitor, guess was 13" or such, a Cherry keyboard and a mouse > total value at that time ~ $US 3000.--

was 1989 not sure

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Have a 386SX 20MHz, 8MB RAM, 540MB HDD, 512KB VGA card. It still works (if you have lotsa time).

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... I've put my good old box into garbage 10 years ago. Must say that it was still functional at this time but quite a bit outdated :D
    Since I do not collect such items I'm gett'n my lab lean on the shelves. On the other hand, my wine collection shows bottles much older than any PC I ever owned :D

8. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    It runs Win95B and you can go onto the Internet but it ain't fun. Most other software fails because it assumes a numeric coprocessor which this machine lacks...

On the other hand it is very silent since the CPU doesn't require any cooling (not even Passive one).

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    awesome ... never tried 95 on that box but it might have played there as well. Right, cooling was not a problem at that time. Power supply had a small fan but was quiet as far as I remember. Laser printer was very loud, took a lot of time to make one site and the toner smell made me open the window during printing

10. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    And it did cost a fortune plus your first-born child at that time. :whistle3:

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    absolutely :D

12. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #32 sevenacids, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    I think as long as the machine in question is not connected to the internet and the software you use is happy with the set of APIs Windows XP provides, there is no reason to upgrade to a newer OS until the hardware fails, and as soon as one purchases new hardware, one has to install and use a newer OS almost all of the time anyways, simply because of the fact there won't be any drivers for Windows XP anymore for certain devices. But things like cashier systems or other PCs for a specialized (local) purpose will continue to work just fine. The only thing that troubles me a bit is the fact that there's a huge amount of ATMs in Germany that still run on an embedded version of Windows XP, or even Windows 2000, and not all of them will be replaced in just a few weeks.

For the enterprise, the move to Windows 7, from a user experience point of view, is not a leap as big as to upgrade right to Windows 8.x, and unless a company utilizes a lot of touch-enabled hardware, it doesn't really make sense. And even if they do, it's worth to consider using a mix of Windows 7 on the basis (in-house desktops/laptops) and 8.x only on mobile devices. Enterprise is most likely to skip Windows 8.x, if they are in the course of upgrading right now, they will go for Windows 7 and wait and see what happens to Windows in the next release (that what I've heard from people I worked for who do mid- to large-scale hard- and software rollouts at least).

Personally, I think it's more than about time that Windows XP goes away because there is a much better alternative around with Windows 7 (if one really despises or doesn't need Windows 8.x so much). That's the way I'd propose it: If you need apps and touch, go for Windows 8.x, if you don't, there's no reason to not look at Windows 7 anymore. What I don't like about the Microsoft way is that they say everybody should just move to Windows 8.x, regardless of user needs. I mean, sure, they want to sell 8.x and leave 7 behind because they are afraid Windows 7 might turn out to be the next XP, but then again that's their own fault. They made a risky bet building Windows 8.x the way it is.

My two cents. :biggrin:

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The use of OS's

As always: it's depend if you're
    • private user
    • company government employee working with computer
    • IT staff of an company
    • IT Service Technican
    • CEO of an IT Company
    what you should or even have to use!

As private user it's just up to you what you'll or like to use, regardless of the system as long as it could use with your choice of system!
    As an company employee you'll have to go with the companies policies.
    The companies technical staff may'll need to test latest system and see it's worth or worthless to change!
    As and IT staff and/or CEO you may need to be up to date at all times for to be able to provide what ever the customers want or even need and you'll need to have the required knowledge of those new system too!

It's may not the best move to be up to date at all times, I would never tell that!
    And also, what and how to use, is all time depend in what category of user's you place yourself. Many private users will moving to new systems at the same moment they're available (in what way ever!!) without the knowledge to know what they're doing and facing with such move! just look at the many post's of this forum from such user's!

And sevenacids is right, XP is totally outdated to date! That also didn't means that it couldn't be used any more, it would still be used as long as machines exist which are able to run with that OS! So, if you like it, carry on to use it, it's your own decision!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...