Are there negative effects of SLIC bios mods?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wagoff, Sep 21, 2007.

1. wagoff

wagoff MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2007
    So I have an Asus a8n32-sli and I have vista downloaded, the specific bios for the mobo from this forum, and I am pretty much ready to go. But before i do this I wanted to know if are there any negative effects to modding the bios with the slic code? Does it take away any functionality of the motherboard or slow anything down? Also, what if i mod the bios but just end up using XP anyways, any problems there?

Thanks

2. CHB68

CHB68 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2007
    #2 CHB68, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
    Well, I flashed my Bios (ASUS P5KR) yesterday and did not note any negative effects as it doesen't effect the hardware at all. Simply said; you modify your current bios by adding an information only. So If the flash performs fine it works like a charm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. randyored

randyored MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2007
    Well, the worst problem is if it doesn't work and it bricks your motherboard. I had a motherboard that I installed a modded bios an it would lock up on intializing the floopy. That made it basically bricked because I could not boot from a floopy to rollback the bios. Bricked!!

4. golumolu

golumolu MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2008
    roll back to original BIOS from Modded BIOS

Is it possible to roll back to original BIOS from Modded BIOS ?

5. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Yes it is, simlpy flash it with the original unmodded bios.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. xStevenx

xStevenx MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2007
    Yet again this is assuming that all went as planned. If successful the answer is yes. If it is bricked then no.

7. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    #8 juzz, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    Thats why it's good idea to have bootable USB/CD/something else too ;)

I have afudos and bios files on my bootable USB stick -> no need to even install floppy drive to the case and I can keep it disabled on bios all the time

EDIT: but of course there is slight chance that something goes wrong and mobo gets bricked. Tho new mobos are quite good at recovering old bios compared to some old MOBOs.