Are you getting more and more BSODs lately?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gorski, Mar 4, 2016.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Have you tried using a clean Win 7 SP1 install, no updates or internet access and see what happens ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Well, one must install drivers after Winblows, of course. Once I have done that, I have also updated them immediately, as noted before - my guess is that something there is tainted...

But it's hard to tell, since one would have to know all the versions, log and so on...

Linux more and more, really... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Windows 7 currently solid as rock.

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  5. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Could be Microsoft trying to push you to Windows 10 again, "drivers sabotage", "rape from M$", or perhaps some other conspiracy really.

But it's probably just BitDefender.

6. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ gorski - Mr.X brought up a very good point here, your problem may not be software related. Have you ever tested your system memory with memtest86+ in order to verify that it's not a memory issue?

I had a problem a while back with my Lenovo T400 laptop, which has both Windows 7 Pro and Linux Mint 17.3 installed. I never had a problem with Linux Mint, but every once in a while Windows 7 would throw a BSOD. The first couple of times I didn't respond quickly enough to write down the error message, but the third time I managed to catch it: "Page fault found in non-paging area", which points to the system's physical memory. Having Linux Mint installed meant I already had memtest86+ installed as well. When I ran it, I discovered there was a problem with the DIMM installed in slot 2. And that explained why I never had a problem with Linux Mint, only Windows 7: Linux Mint never used more than 2GB of system memory and only needed the DIMM in slot 1, but Windows 7 routinely used more than 2GB, which meant it accessed the DIMM in slot 2 on a regular basis. After replacing the bad memory, no more BSODs, case solved.

7. woolie

woolie MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2014

YES ! What a difference...

Both XP and Win 7 Machines tested OFFLINE only and ran fine until going online...

Retested again and the same for all four machines... Offline stayed fine but online blue-screened...

We know who owns the internet and it is NOT us...:eek:

So, changed over to paragon backup for all four and when online machines failed, simply
    re imaged the online machines...

Meanwhile, offline machines remained well, healthy and operational while offline...o_O:clap:

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx for the effort!!

We travelled a loooong way, yesterday all day and I just woke up... so I will investigate as soon as I can, with the memory bit onwards...

Bit Defender how, please?

Btw, I have 8GB of RAM, so... not sure about that... Also, SSD etc. And like others, my Linux is mostly fine but Windows of late...

Cheers! :)

9. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Your dump file is showing vsserv.exe as being related to the crash, which is part of BitDefender. You'll find plenty of reports of it causing that specific bugcheck.

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I see!

Thanx! Very kind! :)

Will try ESET, then... or back to Kaspersky...

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx to Sid and his kind ESET 1 year subscription, I have now uninstalled BitDefender aaaannnndddd... I am at the edge of my seat... :D

Again, thanx to all people of good will:thumbsup::drinks2::good3::drunk: - I will report back... if and when...

Let's pray, brothers and sisters... :rasta: