Aspire One D250 Kav60 Flash freeze

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by eh, May 23, 2013.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Something still Wrong flashing a bios should only take 1 or 2 minutes at most if even that.

2. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    #22 eh, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    (OP)
    Yes< I messed up first without reading the manual and posts first by taking out the hard drive initially and running a virus tool. When that did not sort out the virus I reformatted the hard drive. The Acer recovery etc is thus gone. When installing xp sp 3 the netbook bricked. Then the battery was replaced but. After changing the Ram back to 1g, flashing did not stop with the usb flash light on but just continues flashing. Even had a look in changing the flas**t instruction to initiate a flash. Did not try that yet.

I have now dismantled the netbook again totally to inspect the wiring and to disconnect the cmos battery for a few hours. Perhaps this will reset the bios.

Perhaps I would need to obtain the original Acer disk to format the hard drive to original state with the Acer partition and files.

The notebook is running again with the bios flashed and the flashing continues, as was before.

One thing I did not mention before. The cmos battery is not soldered on but the wiring sticked on with sticky tape, as advised by the person who helped out with the battery change. Beforehand he was not able to solder the wiring connection to the battery without messing up the battery. He soldered on the + and - terminals two small wires to which the cmos battery is sticked. Conductivity is checked between motherboard and battery and that seems fine.

As mentioned the other option is perhaps to edit the the KAV60.BAT file which contains flas**t kav60.fd /fe /b /dc

Insyde code
    /FE Flash EC
    /B Flash PEI volume
    /DC Flash [FONT=&quot]Disable comparsion in normal flash process[/FONT]

Perhaps editing this command will initiate a proper flash eg /All or some of the other commands.

Any input is welcome.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #23 urie, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    Already mentioned you add only two files It will never read the .bat file when it cannot post your wasting your time messing about with files. As for the hard drive that should have absolutely nothing to do with bios flashing. Thinking they way you are means you could never replace the hard drive if it broke down. If your friend is handy with a soldering iron think you would be quicker replacing the bios chip by a preprogrammed one.

4. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    What does it mean when the usb starts flashing and continues flashing. Does that not mean it is searching for the file but unable to identify it? My thinking is that it is not reading the bat file. Why not?
    Yes would at the end of the day replace the bios chip.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    likely crc mismatch.. maybe ram is bad.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You keep mentioning .bat file according to instructions for bios recovery only put both FLAs**t.EXE and the BIOS file on to the flash drive. Forget .bat file I already mention it can not and will not read it if Machine cannot Post, if Machine could post then you would be doing a normal bios flash not Recovery.

7. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Thanks. Have tried it with the two files. You have given me another direction to investigate ie the posting, why is it not posting. Will dismantle and try posting with some of the hardware disconnected as wlan connection.

8. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Thanks every bit of info helps. With repaced 2g ram flash once and stops with light on. Samsung 1g ram, nothing. With Hynix 1g ram, starts flashing and continues flashing. When reading about crc mismatch. When using winrar to uncompress the Acer bios files the following messages are shown:

Winrar Wrong version of 7z.fmt module. Please repeat Winrar installation.
    Winrar Wrong version of z.fmt module. Please repeat Winrar installation.

Could it be that the Acer bios files are not fully decompressed or faulty decompressed?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Are you still trying to recover with the latest version of the bios, Some people think that version has a bug try recovering with an older version if there is one.

10. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    There are about 11 different versions. Downloaded all and will be trying from oldest to latest, the two files kav60.fd and flas**t per version on 1g flash and 512 mem card. using 7zip. Must say did not feel like dismantling the netbook today.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I didn't notice the post about you having problems extracting the bios file that could be the problem all along corrupt bios file using wrong extractor.

12. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Used the 7zip, Tried all the bios updates, still flashing merrily. Most probably a boot block bug. Will try disconnecting the hardware and then its off to ACER. Many thanks for the input, urie and LatinMcG.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #35 LatinMcG, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    oo ccheck this one out .. acer one D257 no post.. tried it all.

turns out the memory socket is loose from board... one of the pins needs resoldering.

i push ram while posting and works.. let go and video goes black.. i have to reflow memory socket.
    Not bios issue... apparently customers kids dropped it and made memory socket come partially lose.

try external monitor.
    also take apart and get hot air gun and reflow memory socket.

14. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Will do. Still looking for solutions until I take it to Acer. I disconnected the hardware and tried posting, no joy still flasher flashes indefinitely.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i had same isue .. recovery unlimited flash.. resoldered socket of ram and fixed.

16. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Will check ram socket, thanks.

17. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Must laugh. Contacted Acer SA, explained problem ie bios problem. Told to bring it in. Did that. Quoted for a mother board and Hdrive. Quote is for R 3850. I can buy a new Aspire one for around R 2800. Seems they do not replace a faulty bios....