Aspire Revo

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ZaForD, May 26, 2009.

1. embrace9

embrace9 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    #21 embrace9, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    Can someone let me know if I get the Linux version of the Aspire Revo if I'll be able to wipe linux and install windows vista or 7 on it and activate okay?

I got worried after I saw a bios specifically for the linux version rather than the vista version. I'm confused about the differences between the two in this thread.

The linux version of the Revo has no SLIC so I won't be able to activate off of the license embedded in the BIOS right? What if I flash the Revo with the windows version bios? is that possible? It looks like the current linux BIOS is R01.A1L and windows version BIOS is R01.A1.

Maybe someone can shed some light.

also, will the Revo boot off a USB DVDRW drive? And I also assume that a USB flash drive will boot okay.

thanks.

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi embrace9

The quick answer is yes.
    But you'll need the Windows BIOS and the Acer Cert. to activate Vista.
    And a (2.1 SLIC) modded BIOS and Windows 7 Cert. to activate Windows 7.

Thats right, Flash the Revo with the Windows BIOS. But you'll need to use a switch to stop it reading the old BIOS. (i can remember what it is at the moment :()

Again yes, you either set it to boot from BIOS, or use the F12 key.
    FYI, it also boots from the Card Reader too. :cool:

3. Bradmax57

Bradmax57 MDL Junior Member

Dec 31, 2008
    #23 Bradmax57, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    Can anyone tell me what the command is to do this :)

*edit* found it now sorted with windows bios :D

4. PinkFreud

PinkFreud MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    #24 PinkFreud, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  5. m000

m000 MDL Junior Member

Nov 1, 2009
    sorry for the noob questiion but i just ordered a aspirerevo r1600. im trying to gather as much info on it as possible..

are the r1600 and r3200 same hardware wise? after reading it seem the r3600 is the "Linux model"? or is that only determined by the BIOS?
    i cant find anything related to to r1600 on the acer website.

i am asking because as of this point.. i don't know how to request a SLIC 2.1 with a r1600

thank you

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why request if it is already one post above yours?

Maybe reading glasses?

sebus

7. m000

m000 MDL Junior Member

Nov 1, 2009
    interesting response.

i can read and see just fine.. before asking my question i clicked on that link and saw -Motherboard Model: AspireRevo R3600 (Atom 230 1.6 GHz + Nvidia ION)

hence warranting my question.

if you are need of a pair and cant afford to buy them. please send me your paypal info.. ill send some money Sebus is going blind fund. otherwise if you have nothing good to contribute please mind your own

thank you

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi m000,
    From what I understand the R1600 is the R3600 but with the LE version of the ION chipset.
    The R3610 is different as it has the Dual Core 330 Atom CPU.

There are a number of reports that the only difference between the ION and the ION-LE is how the driver is setup, and that the driver can be modded so it works just like the full ION.
    So I'd say theres little difference between the BIOS's.

Theres also a thread in the BIOS section comparing the R3600 and R3610

@Sebus. Either the post above or the uploaded file has a typo.
    As m000 says one is for the R1600 and the others for the R3600

9. larkster

larkster MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2010
    If any of you are looking for a modded BIOS for the R3610 just download the original BIOS from the Acer website as it has SLIC 2.1 as standard. My Revo R3610 was shipped with an old BIOS that was not SLIC 2.1. A simple upgrade with the original BIOS gave me SLIC 2.1

10. lifeisfun

lifeisfun MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    You purchased Linux R3610 and flashed the Windows version on it ? P01-A4 NOT the Linux P01-A4L ?

Thanks

11. larkster

larkster MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2010
    #31 larkster, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
    Yes thats correct. I purchased the Linux version. Created a bootable USB stick of W7 Ultimate x64 using my laptop. Installed W7 on the Revo (selecting not to activate or enter a serial). I then updated the BIOS using the latest one on the Acer website (not the Linux version of the BIOS). Make sure you follow the instructions carefully in the "read me" file that comes with the original BIOS as you have to restore the BIOS to factory settings after the update (all is explained in the read me). I then used the Windows 7 Loader by DAZ to install the CERT & KEY.

Job done, Activated as OEM :D

BTW, this thread should be moved to the Windows 7 section

12. lifeisfun

lifeisfun MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks,
    interesting, I did the same the very next day the bios was released by Acer
    but my W7 wouldn't boot after that. ( I had to re-flash back to the slick modified bios someone posted here)

13. larkster

larkster MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2010
    #33 larkster, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    Just make sure that after a successful flash, from the Windows desktop (not DOS), your prompted to reboot. As soon as the Revo reboots, hit DEL and go into the BIOS. Then select "Restore to default settings". Save changes and Exit. This is an important step after flashing the BIOS on the Revo. You should now be able to boot back into W7.

14. PhilUK

PhilUK MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you get an error in the windows flasher when attempting to change from the linux to windows bios:

"Error File Rom ID incorrect"

I get this when attempting to flash with windows but not linux bioses...
    Not sure what to do now!

Cheers
    Phil